Archinect
anchor

Good Interview Questions?

scraper

I was wondering what are some effective interview questions a potential employee/intern can ask firms?

Examples:

What qualities allow for an employee in this firm to acquire more
responsiblities?

Where does this firm see itself in 5 or 10 years? Does your firm see itself creating new niches?

How does this firm organize itself professionally?

Please feel free to expand on this list or critique my own.

Jan 8, 09 2:03 pm
med.

If a project designer interviews you, ask what their design philosphy was. It tickles them to death why you ask them that. And be very interested in the response.

Jan 8, 09 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"May I pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease have this job? Please?"

Jan 8, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

^ spot on....haha

Jan 8, 09 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

a good question is one that shows that you have a) researched the company, and want to find more information that they are not providing on their website, literature, etc, or b) draws upon something your interviewer has told you during the interview.

it shows that you are interested, attentive, and thorough...although the questions you listed maybe be actual things you are wondering, i would by no means call them good questions; good meaning that the questions improve the quality of the interview in the eyes of your potential employer.

the questions you listed are pretty generic. in my opinion its like meeting someone for the first time, having them tell you about themselves, and then asking them, "whats your shoe size?" yes, you are acquiring information, but there are probably better questions you could ask if you want to demonstrate interest.

i would say a good question would be something along the lines of...

"i saw that you were recently commissioned to design x. that looks like a really interesting project and i was wondering if you can tell me more about it..."

in comparison:

"tell me about your design philosophy"

means that you probably havent even gone to the firms website, because it is most likely listed on the first page.

the more research you do, the easier it will be to come up with questions. i'm not saying you shouldnt ask the question you have come up with already, because they are things anyone would want to know before they took a job. but i think you should spend some time developing more focused questions about new projects or recent press the firm has received.

Jan 8, 09 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
RevisionV

how much and give it to me.

Jan 9, 09 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
elkus

Some people put the great answers about the interview questions. I am wondering if anyone likes to add more.

I recently got laid off and have a chance for the interview(thanks god!). I really want that job.

I can't think more for the questions. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jan 14, 09 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I've been collecting these over the years. you don't want to use them all of course:

THE FIRM
-what is your/firm management style?
- what could use improving (in the office/studio/team?)
- what are future goals/directions/improvements of the office/company/studio/team?
- how is firm ownership structured? what are the opportunities for ownership?
- what are your competitors? What does (your firm) do that sets itself apart from the competition?
- is the firm entrepreneurial? in what ways?
- does the firm/studio have a written mission statement or business plan? can I see them?
- talk to me about the firms’ design philosophy
- What characteristics does a successful person have in your firm?
-How do you know when you have the right amount of staff on a project?
-What is employee retention like?
How does this firm compare to others you’ve worked at?

THE TEAM
- What makes this studio/office different than the others?
- how many people will I be in charge of?
- tell me about an average day in the office...how about a crunch time day?
- what makes the team more than just a word (team)? (IE: do they socialize, are they friendly, or is just a management scam?)

THE POSITION

- (if they know) What would I be working on immediately?
- what are the daily responsibilities of this position?
- what would be exceptional performance w/in the first 90 days in this position?
- what are the goals/objectives of this position?
- tell me about the person (or persons?) who supervises this position?
- Can you talk about career path from this position. Are advanced positions filled from within?
- how often are performance reviews given?
- what do you expect about me bringing business to the firm?
- does the firm support continuing formal education? (I'm interested in MBA or project management degree at some point, if it makes sense for my career path)
- how much client contact will I get?
- will I need a car? (IE: will I be leading meetings (or on site) frequently on my own?)
- how often will I be traveling?

THE OFFER

-What is the timeframe for getting back to you?
-What is the timeline for start date?
-When will you be sending the formal offer letter? (email please)
- Who is the best person to contact for questions?
- Can you please explain your benefits / bonus structure? What percentage of the bonus is paid out on performance? How is performance measured? What have payout ranges been over the past few years?

• What is it like to work here?
• What are some of the firm's problems? What is being done to address these?
• What is the state of the firm's financial health?
• What are some of the firm's strengths?
• May I see the firm's business plan?
• Who are your clients? May I talk with one?
• Who are your competitors?
• What kinds of computers and programs do you use? Will I have my own computer?
• Is this a new position or a replacement? What happened to the person who held it previously? Is there someone already employed by the firm who thinks they should have this position?
• What are this position's daily responsibilities?

• What is the career path from this position? What's the next step and what would I need to do to get there?
• Who directly supervises this position? What is his or her background? What's he or she like? May I talk to other people who report to this person?
• How many people are in the department/group/studio? May I meet some of them? Do they want this position filled?
• What would I be working on immediately? What would be my role?

• What are the firm's expectations of the person assuming this role?
• How would my performance be measured?
• How are pay reviews scheduled?
• How long have you been here? Why do you like working here?
• Does this firm encourage continuing formal education? Do you accommodate class/seminar schedules? Do you pay for any portion of tuition/attendance fees?
• How is firm ownership structured? What are the opportunities for ownership?

• Will I have a written employment agreement?
• Does your company require that I sign a non-compete agreement?
• How many women and minorities hold management positions in your firm?
• Where do the other employees live? How far away are these communities? Can you describe them? What is the commute like?
• How many other candidates are you considering for this position? What can you tell me about them?
• What is your schedule for making this hiring decision? When you began this process, what was your target date for getting someone on board? What is the next step?
• When will I hear back from you?

Jan 14, 09 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

haha, I've just imagined someone asking all of those questions at an interview... I'm pretty sure what the answer will be to the final question ;)

Jan 14, 09 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

The more questions you ask the better - it show the interviewers that you have critical thinking skills -

Jan 14, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

hey, is it just on my screen that По-русски's screen name messes up the main page?

Jan 14, 09 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

that's your interview question?!? |letdown| you'll never get hired with that!

(По-русски aka 'in-russian' messes up my screen too)

Jan 14, 09 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I will change it after I turn the gas back on in Ukraine

Jan 14, 09 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ah ok... so maybe in russian, you could do us a favor and change it to something that doesnt inconvenience every other user of this site?

Jan 14, 09 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

sweet, thanks dood

Jan 14, 09 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

so when you say no ti's, you mean only ti's? where do i sign up?!?

Jan 14, 09 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

What are your worst projects and why? Odd question but see how they react, Its a good self reflective point that will bring up other questions.

Jan 22, 09 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

the best questions are -

how do you like your coffee?

where is the best place to get you lunch?

is it really true that the hours are long and the pay low?

when can I meet the client?

lol

but seriously....

- how can I help you?

- what things can I do to learn faster.

- what are the books you recommend me to read?

kind of goofy but most interviews w/ recent grads are so owner driven i'd like any well thought out question that tellls me you are motivated to roll up your sleeves and contribute.

Jan 22, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
bravo_on_trace

thanks gruen and others for the thoughtful answers (which are actually questions).

I usually ask a lot about team structure and office environment. I think the "fit" factor is big in employers' eyes, so if you are enthusiastic about this they see you 'fitting.' if you ask these questions and gets brief or dry answers chances are it sucks to work there.

but that's just my strategy. i should note that i don't have a job, i'm currently in school, but have interviewed and recieved internships in the past.

Jan 22, 09 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

....through your questions, build up a personal repore with the person(s) interviewing you. this will firstly, and most importantly, give them the opportunity to talk about themselves and their role in the firm, from that, deconstruct how you'll fit in and probe further. if it's a small firm, these are the colleagues you'll be "bumping elbows" with as you shovel shit from the deeper recesses of our profession.

Jan 22, 09 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

another verry verrrry important point - remember that an interview goes both ways - you interview them as well - it shows confidence if you are able to SHOW them, through your questions and attitude - that you are willing to walk if they can't answer your questions to your satisfaction - and trust me, this attitude will get you more offers, at a higher rate.

Jan 23, 09 12:48 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

If the interview went well I would always ask for a tour of the office.

It's a big red flag if they don't want to show you around.

Jan 23, 09 10:14 am  · 
 · 
gruen

don't forget to ask if they provide MORE COWBELL

Jan 23, 09 11:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: