Archinect
anchor

dc market for intern architects truly dead?

dimu

in lieu of the current economic situation, as a young intern architect it has been impossible finding positions in the dc area. Is every single firm in the dc metro truly on a hiring freeze or is there still firms silently hiring young "willing to be underpaid" staff? At this point I think I would be willing to work just to barely cover rent.

Jan 8, 09 10:00 am
med.

DC is in a tough spot but it's not as vulnerable as other cities.

The recession has hit some of the firms hard but many of the major firms are still busy but are nervous about hiring at the moment and in some case are being thouroughly selective in terms of experience and proficiency. The firms that have completely tanked have let go of some extremely talented and experienced people in addition to many seasoned veterens in the profession. So it's people like that who are more than willing to take pay cuts who are getting some of these last few remaining jobs. Meanwhile, young architects who are eagerly trying to enter the profession are getting cut off left and right here. You're not alone -- I know some people with 5 years of experience who are having a hard time at the moment and have been forced to take jobs outside of the profession.

Now for some advice. There are still firms looking for you. You have to just keep looking. Many people make the mistake of limiting their searches to only the giant well-known behemoth firms -- those are the ones that are contracting. Look for mid-size and small offices -- there may still be vacancies even though they aren't advertising. Just be confident and make sure you emphasize your skill set (i.e. photoshop, 3d modelling, CAD, etc).

Jan 8, 09 10:22 am  · 
 · 
med.

Another interesting phenomenon in DC: Many of the corporate firms that have satelite offices in DC are reluctant to hire because the actual central office may be experiencing downturns at their central offices. So for instance while the offices of fimrs like Smithgroup, Gensler, HOK, and SOM might be busy int he DC offices their other offices are struggling elsewhere and have been forced to implement hiring freezes.

I was told by several friends that some of these firms just received NTPs on some giant Middle East projects but still can't hire even though they need help.

Jan 8, 09 10:45 am  · 
 · 
ericwp

I recently have finished my undergrad and thought I would take a year off to work. As they say, timing is everything, and what bad timing. I have not been able to find work in a firm, but have been able to do small projects for contractors, web design, and company re-branding. I know quite a few people that have been laid off. They range from interns with undergrad degrees only to 5 year vets. The interns have just been cut, period. All the big companies are cutting especially the large firms like HOK, SOM. My roommate just got reduced to 3/5ths time at Gensler. On another note though, as to what Archmed is saying, I have heard that some people are having some results with smaller, not well known firms, but those jobs are spotty as well. I was told by several firms that they may have something available the beginning of the year. I'm guessing that they are trying to find out what the reaction to the new administration is going to be as well as getting through inauguration day.

Good luck to all!

Jan 8, 09 11:29 am  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

Archmed-

I tried to send you an e-mail through Archinect last week that was returned to sender because the e-mail was inactive?

Anyway, I was trying to get an idea of how many (numberswise or percentagewise) people have been let go in the last 3-6 mos in the DC market. Thanks!

Jan 8, 09 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Interesting .... My email is definitely very much active. I have no idea what's wrong with it.

Anyway, it's hard to tell because this is a very transient time in a very transient city. It's impossible to give you percentages or numbers -- I have no idea how you expect me or anyone to have that kind of information. I'm definitely aware of some of the firms that have been contracting but my knowledge is really limited to word of mouth and word on the street.

There are also other factors to keep into consideration. Not all firms in DC are the same -- not even the major ones. while some of the firms have been conrracting significantly, others have remained busy because of their involvement with givernment, military, research, and university projects. Other firms that have stayed strong are ones that specialize in adaptive reuse and interior renovations. Even firms that aren't contracting could definitely use some more work too and the ones that are busy are just trying to stay that way and be on guard in the face of the recession.

I recently re-located to a different firm. I was at a mid-size firm in downtown and then relocated to another one in the same vicinity. Everyone told me I was out of my mind for jumping ship during a recession, but I really wanted to go for it. But it turns out, a lot of people in the DC area did exactly the same thing.

But, the last 6 months have definitely been toughter than about 18 months ago when DC firms were recruiting like crazy.

Jan 8, 09 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

I guess that I was just trying to get a better handle of how many of us have been affected. I've only been in the area for about 18 months. I was let go from my first employer after 11 months. They did residential and have been decimated. (from 60 to approximately 10, if that) My current employer is small but we seem to be okay. (fingers crossed) But now I know people that I worked with at my first employer that are starting to get laid off from their second jobs.

Appreciate the word of mouth that you have been spreading here.

Jan 8, 09 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

"dc market for intern architects truly dead?"

No. Definitely not. For only half-dead intern archtects, yeah, things are kind of iffy. But for the truly dead ones, man, they'll give you like 1500 at the local med school EACH...

Jan 8, 09 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Kurt, I don't think that was funny at all.

Jan 8, 09 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Tidal, that's the most I've heard in any DC firm. Before, I was following the situation at the Preston Partnership and things looked absolutely dire there. We're not talking about the same firm are we?

Jan 8, 09 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

might could ;)

Jan 8, 09 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Damn, so Preston took THAT bad a beating? I heard things were pretty bad, but I didn't think they were that bad. I figure that would happen based on the project types they were involved in.

Jan 8, 09 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: