Archinect
anchor

Occupational Abyss

Deacon

As what seems to be a common theme: I am another recent graduate (Masters) who got laid off in November. I have searched as much online databases for jobs in NYC as I can. They all seem to have the similar or starker situation as archinect... either no new postings since september, or only hiring anyone with at least 5 years experience. That being said, has anyone heard any optimistic news/or rumors of anyone hiring recent graduates (2 or less years experience)?

Jan 7, 09 12:50 pm
Deacon

That is of course for NYC

Jan 7, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
JRGZ1023

Same boat, same outlook

Jan 7, 09 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

moi aussi

Jan 7, 09 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

abyssus abyssum invocat...

Jan 7, 09 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Deacon - I'm sure there will always be firms willing to take on people with little to no professional experience. Not trying to be too blunt about it, but employers always like to get their hands on inexpensive staff that have good technical skills. That said, those jobs are the ones that don't get advertised near as much. Just pound the pavement. It's a flooded job market no doubt, but don't give up because there aren't help wanted ads posted.

Jan 7, 09 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

head to new jersey or upstate. give up on your big apple dreams. move back home. find somewhere that there are few architects - that's where the jobs are.

Jan 7, 09 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

^Theres some truth to that - I know a guy with small firm in Iowa who cant find people at all. The flip side is when its booming your in the middle of Iowa.

Jan 7, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
JRGZ1023

And what if your home market is in NY or any other big city where youve had little luck? Im from NYC suburbs; graduated w/ MArch in May, was working for four months before being laid off and am in pretty much the same boat...With the market as it is relocation makes no sense in my opinion

Jan 7, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

at least u can live at home

Jan 7, 09 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Make Iowa your home market. The cost of living is cheeeep.

Jan 7, 09 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
blue7

I know one firm who is hiring an intern architect (less than 2 yrs). Although it's not in new york, but still in new england. if anyone interested in applying, shoot me an email. i will give you the name of the firm. i just got a phone call yesterday that they wanted to interview me, but i am already settled in other place. good luck.

Jan 7, 09 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
any

if you desperately need money right now, get another job, any job. the market will re bounce in a few months. try to study and pass leed exam, even though you have no experience but leed certification might make you a preferred candidate for a job opening. work on your skills learn software like rhino, revit. work on your rendering skills. do competitions, you will learn from doing it and show to potential employers that you are self disciplined and determine. contact friends if they know of any freelance. i hope that helps.

Jan 8, 09 11:25 am  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

bounce back in a few months? really???

Jan 10, 09 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

try few years....

Jan 23, 09 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

the last times of excess are over, now is the revaluation, try never

Jan 23, 09 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

never say never!

Jan 23, 09 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

ok change that to 'not very much so like before again.

plus we haven't even hit the bottom things are in super duper decline mode. hold on tight

Jan 23, 09 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: