Archinect
anchor

Archinect in Dwell mag

During all the hustle and bustle of the Holidays and Grad school applications, did anyone see Archinect featured in this month's issue of Dwell? (December/January 2009), "Mid-Century Mixed." I thought it was pretty cool flipping through casually, and then all of a sudden seeing the front browser page of Archinect, along with an interview with Paul Petrunia. That is, if anyone still reads Dwell after last years blunders....

check it out....

Jan 7, 09 9:29 am
drums please, Fab?
Jan 7, 09 10:57 am  · 
 · 
joearch8

thanks FR&C!

Jan 7, 09 11:03 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I did see that actually. Pretty cool. What do you consider Dwell's blunders of last year? I've got a few in mind, in terms of layout and graphics that drove me nuts. I'm also amazed that they managed to come up with less clear and more boring plans than Record.

Jan 7, 09 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
joearch8

Well actually, it was 2007, so I guess it was roughly 2 years ago, but I was referring to their exploitation of designers in one their design challenges in LA. There was a big fuss about it on these boards. Still a nice looking mag though....

Jan 7, 09 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

Oh, I remember that. What bugged me, recently, was that their feature spreads switched, for no discernable reason, to a landscape format so you had to turn the magazine and hold it awkwardly. I also think they're a little too focused on mid-century Modernism stylistically rather than with the best contemporary design (also wish the focus would be more on multi-unit, affordable housing sometimes), but all in all, a nice, well-done magazine.

Jan 8, 09 11:14 am  · 
 · 

i sure hope that horizontal format was a one-off. i only remember seeing it in that one issue. big mistake.

this past issue on prefab was very nice, especially the bill massie house. i question its fitting the prefab theme, exactly, since it's SO customized and unique, but a beautiful project.

Jan 8, 09 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

it's no more a prefab than the standard fare going up in suburbia - all those parts are premanufactured as well.

but massie's house is pretty ridiculous, even if he DID do research on a segue...

Jan 8, 09 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

ridiculous is good, right? i love it.

Jan 8, 09 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

mass customization, i think is the digifab word.

two detroit area projects on the cover of dwell in the last two months (albiet one was designed 50 years ago). d represent.

Jan 8, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: