Archinect
anchor

From the Outside

digitalspin

Hello.

I've been a fan of this board for a while and have been wanting to voice my thoughts. I work in interactive media (web design) and have no architecture degree or background. Although I still have a job in a promising industry, I'm quite miserable.

You see, I've always harbored the idea that architecture is the right fit for me. Years ago, I had to opportunity to study as an undergrad at a premier B.Arch program but didn't in order to pursue more practical careers. 15+ years later, I'm still wondering if architecture is still the field for me. I'm 35 now and am no spring chicken anymore. Also, some of the sentiments expressed on the boards suggest that architecture's golden era has passed. On a more immediate level, there is the unprecedented economic crisis; the economy is wrecking web design / development so I can imagine what it must be like for a more traditional field like architecture.

I should be grateful for the opportunities that I have now, and my current line of work is quite promising from a growth point of view. I've even heard of architects have successfully moved into web design work as well. All this aside, I'm not happy with my work. Perhaps, it is the allure and prestige of being an architect. Or perhaps it is the promise of untold riches ;o. I may be enamored of a dream. After all, the grass is always greener on the other side. Some would even say that being a web designer / developer is cooler still. Odd as it sounds, I'm thinking about *leaving* my current profession and applying to M.Arch programs. Somehow, I think that this may be the right next step for me.

What do you folks think?

Jan 6, 09 12:07 am
gold spot

If your heart is in architecture, will always haunt you. Go with your heart. Economic crisis is cyclic. Passion will keep you going.

Jan 6, 09 12:29 am  · 
 · 
cwsu

^Agreed.

But be aware that architecture is not what it seems. A friend of mine who's father works for the Greene & Greene exhibit as a curator several years ago, mentioned that fact to me. Only now does it make any sense on top of all the inaccuracies built in the mainstream media. My advice is talk to architects on a personal basis, they'll give you a completely different picture than what you have now.

Jan 6, 09 2:15 am  · 
 · 
aquapura
pursue more practical careers

I love it. Next time somebody askes me to talk to their high school kid that's interested in architecture I'm going to use that line.

Seriously though, right now is a shitty shitty time for getting into architecture. There's absolutely no jobs to be had right now and who knows where the market will be in 5+ years. I can see it taking some time to have a strong enough recovery just to soak up the currently unemployed architects.

On top of that it's low paying, especially starting out. If you have a family to support I'd imagine that would be an automatic deal breaker.

I say suck it up. Most people aren't happy with their careers. They do it for the pay, benefits, etc. Do you really think that at age 40+ you'll be happy making $35k drawing toilet partitions? Think about it.

Jan 6, 09 8:32 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I pretty much agree with aquapura.

But I also predict more overlap between traditional architecture and interactive media in the future. Perhaps you can find another job within your discipline that is more closely aligned with architecture? Even cross-disciplinary firms that employ both traditional architects and web designers?

I'm not sure getting into a lot of debt right now is a great idea.

Jan 6, 09 9:29 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Digitalspin,

Both sides happen to be true.

1) Following one's passion is a wonderful thing in this life, even if it's a low-paying passion.

2) Architecture is a low-paying passion, as well as a demanding and often tedious set of activities... it is, after all, a complex profession.

I would offer the usual "go for it!" speech if I sensed you already knew that architecture was for you, but it sounds like it's only a guess right now. Ask anyone on this board: we have all had people in other jobs tell us, "You know, I always wanted to be an architect." That comes from a popular and limited perception "from the outside," as you say.

I agree with the poster who advised you to talk to some architects. Find out more --a lot more-- before you chuck it all for graduate school to find the bottom rung of an already low-set ladder (in a admittedly exciting field).

Jan 6, 09 9:46 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Architects were the last to hear the apple fall... or something like that.

There is a unique market opportunity to move the AEC industry forward. See websites such as New Forma, CMiC and Onuma.

Can you bring something better to the table?

Jan 6, 09 10:18 am  · 
 · 
digitalspin

Do you really think that at age 40+ you'll be happy making $35k drawing toilet partitions?

The truth may be hard but at least it is the truth.

Jan 7, 09 12:06 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Meh -- this is a tough one obviously because both things are true. Yes, it's just a job, 40 hours a week, suck it up and take up some good design-related hobbies while you coast on a nice comfortable salary you'd never have in architecture.

But the flip side of that is...

40 hours a week is realistically the majority of your life. Do you want to spend even one minute of your precious, short life doing something you just don't want to do? It's somewhat unrealistic in this day and age to say "it's just your job, don't sweat it" -- we are our jobs. Also, you can't take anything with you when you die, so even if you're only making $35,000 at age 40--well, first, you'll quickly rise above that and back up to a decent salary soon enough, and second, what, did you want to die rich, having done something you hated your whole life? That was a convoluted sentence, but you get the point.

a) go visit a firm and watch what they do, talk to them, see if you like it
b) show up to an arch. school around the end of the semester and check out the final work pinned up, or see if you can watch a final critique, even
c) go to your local grad school's "open house" day in the spring

...THEN see if you really want to put yourself through the pain of a career change in mid-life. Like I said, there's two sides to it...

Jan 7, 09 12:23 am  · 
 · 
binary

get into exhibit design/engineering....

work in a few millwork shops and learn how to 'build' then you won't have an issue working at an exhibit house.

i work with a guy that was a cabinet maker for about 10 years and he's prolly making around 65-70gs a year doing cd's/engineering for the exhibit house...

Jan 7, 09 1:10 am  · 
 · 

that is an interestingly specific sideline to pursue cryz. not sure if it would replace the desire to become an architect as it is just another substitute...

i don't know if it is worth pursuing a new career from 35 unless you have some idea where you will go from there.

i had similar trepidation when i started phd at 34, although i had already worked in offices for some years as an architect. it can be difficult to get to a good place after school i think.

however, i have the example of my father who when he turned 40 sold his house and used the cash to finance his education in master of healthcare adminsitration. he had previously been a nurse and then a social worker but wanted more. I was 17 at the time and so I became his room-mate in campus dorm, although I was working not studying...anyway, he got his degree and then spent 10 years catching up and by 15 years later he was well ahead and in charge of 23 small and mid-sized hospitals on the canadian prairies. He LOVED his new career and was very good at it. He also loved his old job, but it was becoming weird when he decided to quit, so he made (in hindsight) exactly the right choice.

So if timing is right it is totally cool. me i have two kids under 10 and we still want one more, so it would be hard to switch careers now if i had to start at the bottom again. for my da though he had two kids who were very early adults and no other obligations. so he jumped.

if you think the job will be worth it and don't mind spending some time catching up then go for it. that requires some hard calculus i imagine.

good luck.

Jan 7, 09 1:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: