Archinect
anchor

Atlanta Breuer endangered

millerbowen

It appears another town has another issue in protecting our history.

I urge you to read Dr. Isabelle Hyman's remarks and seriously consider signing the petition to save Breuer's Central Library in Downtown Atlanta.

Here's a sample from her essay:

"Tastes change with regard to the appearance of buildings as they do for every cycle of creative activity. Concrete architecture of the 1970s is not at this moment universally appreciated. But to remove a significant modernist monument — important in and for its time and still satisfactorily fulfilling its original function to serve the community — designed by a major architect of historical importance and world renown, would be a serious civic blunder in the cultural history of Atlanta." - Isabelle Hyman

Max Eternity is doing an admirable job but he needs fellows, he needs a throng. Would you join me by adding your name to the petition to save this building, perhaps writing a letter of support?

Please forward this email to any colleagues or friends whom you suspect may wish to support this issue.

All the best,

Susan Miller
Cleveland, Ohio

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM
Subject: A Plea for Preservation: Breuer in Atlanta

Hello,

Thought you might like to know that I have had the good fortune of making much progress concerning my preservation efforts for The Central Library in Downtown Atlanta. Recently, I have been in regular contact with Dr.Isabelle Hyman, which has moved me to create a more international, scholarly site, which also serves the preservation cause, in a more sophisticated,academic tone. The new site http://marcelbreuer.wordpress.com/ works in tandem with the original site. http://centralbranchlibrary.blogspot.com/
Dr. Hyman, Professor Emerita at New York University, recently wrote an exclusive essay, providing a first-hand, historically-based, plea for preservation. The document now serves as the introduction on the new site http://marcelbreuer.wordpress.com
http://www.artmajeur.com/maxeternity

The new site is organized in these basic categories:
Introduction, Letters of Support, Academic Commentary, An Online Petition, Relevant Bio(s)

Click here to visit the new Marcel Breuer site http://www.marcelbreuer.wordpress.com

As well, please read and sign the online petition by clicking
here http://www.petitiononline.com/mbcla/petition.html

Remarks are most welcome, as are letters of support.

Wish you a wonderful holiday season.

Bests,

Max

Jan 2, 09 12:15 pm
outed

miller -

hi. before we all start hyperventilating over the thought of the central library building going the way of the buckhead library, i'd suggest you all take a step back, talk to the players involved, and get a better sense of what's at stake with this issue. it's nothing like the buckhead fiasco.

just because the central library is looking for a larger home, doesn't mean they would tear down the breuer building. in fact, their only two choices at the moment are to raise another 100M to build a new facility or to renovate the breuer building and make do with a smaller facility than they would like. they would be building a new structure on a property closer to centennial park if the former option goes forward. in that scenario, they would most likely look to sell the property to either another governmental agency or to another arts based organization. i have not heard they would be selling the building on the private market. in the latter scenario, they would look to more significantly renovate the breuer structure than they have in the past. there is no room to expand where they are, nor is there an option to go up. my take, in talking with some of the administrative types, is that they do not want to tear down the breuer building under any scenario.

for the moment, you don't need to worry about them doing much of anything - they wouldn't be able to sell the financing bond in the current climate, so they don't actually have money in hand.

Jan 2, 09 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

we need to make a list of awesome 20th century buildings that shouldn't get demolished. and enforce it.

seriously, there are enough terrible 20th century buildings to tear down and make way for the 21st century that we shouldn't even be thinking of touching the breuers and the rudolphs....

Jan 2, 09 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
millerbowen

Laru,

You state, "my take, in talking with some of the administrative types, is that they do not want to tear down the breuer building under any scenario."

Please post or direct us to a link to the legal document where your tax using library or county officials have stated that under any scenario they do not intend to endanger the Breuer - that they are in fact committed to retaining and lovingly caring for the building.

Having been involved (more than I ever expected to be) in the fight to save Breuer's Ameritrust Tower in Cleveland, I can tell you that these sorts of feel-good/don't-worry lines which are easily passed along by "administrative types" in conversation may well be just that - feel good covers for what is actually in the planning. I heard a boat load of them. It is even possible that these administrators are being hoodwinked and passing along what they believe is correct information.

If they sell it, it can be torn down. Is there a document that I have missed that states that they are negotiating a sale with XXX government or XXX arts org whose board of directors or elected officials have agreed to protect this landmark?

I just know that our Breuer had one hell of a struggle and our elected officials got way ahead of themselves before the public and a developer came to the rescue. It wasn't pretty and the FBI is investigating now.

So I just want to encourage preservationists and those who appreciate Breuer to make their voices heard - not to hyperventilate, just speak out. What can it hurt? Would it endanger an architect trying to get work in Atlanta to sign the petition, to write a letter of support? If so, then there you have it - a silent majority that allows government to use their hard earned cash to do as some appointed and some elected officials deem appropriate.

I did not find a single architect among those who wanted to tear down Breuer's Ameritrust Tower, but they had their opinions (not exactly schooled or erudite) and they had determined to use our money to achieve their end. Not on my watch. Luckily the world came to our aide. When the eyes of mapa, WMWF, Swiss journalists and architects from around the world were watching, the story turned quickly to a better outcome.

So, in putting this out there, I do not mean to hyperventilate (in fact I am quite calm), nor do I suggest that anyone else take up arms and charge toward Margaret Mitchell Avenue. I posted this so that others might be aware and to invite you to sign the petition, write a letter of support for this Breuer and for Breuers everywhere if you are so inclined. If you prefer to consider this a prophylactic measure, I have no problem with that approach.

Beware of misinformation - we had quite a barge load of it floating down our main street in Cleveland. It was a monumental task to uncover the emperor with no clothes. If Atlanta's emperor has clothes that, too, will be revealed. If not, then Atlanta taxpayers and an historic building might forgo the angst and yes, hyperventilating that went on here in Cleveland. For me the veil of naivete and trust in government sans legal documents (affidavits) was stripped away. I signed the petition.

Jan 2, 09 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
outed

all of my information came directly from the director of the library system, who lives in the building currently. i've spoken to him at length about what their plans for the building are. and, yes, of course if they sell it as part of the plan, it could be torn down. the library system itself could decide to tear it down next week. i'm having to trust what i've been told and who has told it to me. perhaps your experiences don't permit you to do that.

half of my reaction is with the wording of the petition you linked to - it was very aggressive in it's tone and didn't seem to take into any account of what the political nuances are down here. it was a 'save the breuer under all circumstances or else' stance. a lot of architects here would like to see the building preserved, much like we wanted to see the buckhead library preserved. i personally think it's a very flexible structure and could be converted into a museum (for example) with minimal compromise to the architecture. ultimately, sugar works better down here better than vinegar. just something to take into account.

Jan 2, 09 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

millerbowen, have you or your people heard about the Virtual Activism of MAPA?

Jan 3, 09 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Max Eternity

Below is a copy of the letter I just emailed to the administrators at Architect. It reads:

Dear Archinect,

Much disinformation about the fate of the Marcel Breuer designed Atlanta-Fulton Central Public Library appears to be swirling around the Internet, including a couple of comments posted on this site. Consequentially, as the moderator of both the original Central Library preservation site/url] and the [url=http://www.marcelbreuer.wordpress.com]www.marcelbreuer.wordpress.com, the drafter of the petition, and ally to Susan Miller, Sally Levine, Marsha Scarvada, Susan Piedmont-Palladino, Carl Stein and Isabelle Hyman, Author of Marcel Breuer, Architect:The Career And The Buildings - Professor Emerita at NYU, I propose that Archinect assist in throwing down the the gantlet (as it were) by highlighting this tragedy unfolding.

In my efforts, I have amassed a legally binding paper trail that is absolutely irrefutable. Every claim that I make in arguing the case for preservation is supported by redundantly documented fact and not, rumors or hearsay.

I've got it all in writing...from a variety of very credible sources. With it now being my hope that your executive staff will find that this topic merits being front and center.

Bests,

Max Eternity - Artist|Inventor

www.centrallibraryatlanta.blogspot.com
www.marcelbreuer.wordpress.com

Jan 3, 09 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Max Eternity

Below is a copy of the letter that I just emailed to the administrators of this very site, Architect.

It reads as follows:

Dear Archinect,

Much disinformation about the fate of the Marcel Breuer designed Atlanta-Fulton Central Public Library appears to be swirling around the Internet, including a couple of comments posted on this site. Consequentially, as the moderator of both the original preservation site and the new preservation site, the drafter of the online petition, and ally to Susan Miller, Sally Levine, Marsha Scarvada, Susan Piedmont-Palladino, Carl Stein and Isabelle Hyman, Author of Marcel Breuer, Architect:The Career And The Buildings - Professor Emerita at NYU, I propose that Archinect assist in throwing down the the gantlet (as it were) by highlighting this tragedy unfolding.

In my efforts, I have amassed a legally binding paper trail that is absolutely irrefutable. Every claim that I make in arguing the case for preservation is supported by redundantly documented fact and not, rumors or hearsay.

I've got it all in writing...from a variety of very credible sources. With it now being my hope that your executive staff will find that this topic merits being front and center.

Bests,

www.petitiononline.com/mbcla/petition.html

Jan 3, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

wait there mr. eternity...
as much as i signed up in favor of saving the breuer library building, i would like to remind you that this is a discussion forum and people are free to discuss the issues such as this one. it is your job to make this a front and center priority. and that is not going to happen by rendering anybody's reasonable opinion a rumor.

Jan 3, 09 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
millerbowen

Yes, indeed I do know about Virtual Activism.

Thank you, Orhan for archinect and for connecting me with mapa when things were dire here in Cleveland. You may have noticed that several mapa members have already signed the petition.

The saga of the Ameritrust building is chronicled here on archinect and mapa members connected me to several other Breuer scholars and architects who participated in "What would you do with the Breuer Building" (an ideas competition) sponsored by David Ellison and Sally Levine during Ingenuity 2007. It was via the archinect discussion that the competition, which was originally open only to Northeast Ohio architects, was expanded and ultimately included entries from around the world. I responded to the original post 04/01/07 by rondo mogilskie "Breuer: Ameritrust Cleveland: Here we go again".

The group of preservationists in Cleveland is VERY appreciative of archinect and mapa. Our building stands today, if on hold due to a tanking economy. If there is a recovery, the plans for the building are in good hands with the firm whose partners at the time the building was constructed were the local architects of record - now Westlake Reed Leskosky. They have vowed to restore the building to NTHP standards, to replace the street level Mondrian windows ripped out by county's crews and have even fashioned an addition that uses the window as a point of departure.

Architect Carl Stein of Elemental NYC visited Cleveland and gave a well researched and persuasive talk about the benefits of saving the structure. We also showed Judith Pearlman's film, Bauhaus in America and the Chair Historic Resources of our local AIA Chapter, Anthony Hiti, gave a slide presentation - a biography of Breuer. These events followed the ideas competition AND the city planning commission's decision to allow the demo. Ultimately, the county commissioners realized that they did not have the funds to either replace or tear down the building and put it out for bids. It was a grueling process, but seems to be in a restful state - for the time being it is protected.

Thanks also, Orhan, for adding your name to the petition.

Laru - I understand about sugar and vinegar and southern mores. My mother’s kin settled in Spalding County (just south of Atlanta) in the mid 1700s. I’m descended from a long line of cotton farmers. I was raised in North Florida and grew up surrounded by one of the last standing virgin longleaf pine forests. I visited Griffin (more deep south than Atlanta) frequently. Maybe it's my red hair showing through.

I dare say, I find the petition and Max Eternity quite genteel though I do understand his anxiety around this issue.; I've felt it, too. It seems saving modern libraries is not a new issue in Atlanta, so perhaps you can understand, too.

Perhaps you would consider writing your suggestions as a letter of support for protecting the building (or perhaps you have already).

Jan 3, 09 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Max Eternity

To Orhan Ayyuce and Citizens-At-Large:

Please pay close attention to the nuance of the language herein, as I am fully prepared to go the distance in setting the record straight.

So....

Orhan Ayyuce, what are your implications in suggesting - in what might appear to be a veiled scolding - in your above comment that "it is your job to make this a front and center priority. and that is not going to happen by rendering anybody's reasonable opinion a rumor." and also making it your business to point out what any and everyone who's ever seen a blog knows, that all are free to express their opinion; also directing a comment specifically at me, you write "I would like to remind you that this is a discussion forum and people are free to discuss the issues such as this one".

I'll preface, saying this. Opinion alone, does not qualify as fact.

So...

Sir/Madame, Please re-read my comment post a few jumps just above and you will see clearly that I have never attacked anyone's opinion. Instead, what I say is "Much disinformation about the fate of the Marcel Breuer designed Atlanta-Fulton Central Public Library appears to be swirling around the Internet, including a couple of comments posted on this site...In my efforts, I have amassed a legally binding paper trail that is absolutely irrefutable. Every claim that I make in arguing the case for preservation is supported by redundantly documented fact and not, rumors or hearsay." Meaning that no one can ever expect to get away with legally slandering me or attempt to slander my presentation(s), as all that I have said and will continue to say is backed up, time and time again, with sourced documentation. Legally binding documentation, not hearsay or unnamed comment posting(s) are key in these turning of events, because for anyone who has taken any amount of time to delve into the sorted past of the Fulton County Commissions and the executive staff of the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, one would know that they have had to pay out millions on top of millions of dollars to persons they have have harmed. And though there are surely many employees of these two government organizations in Atlanta -Fulton, there still exist a grotesque display of arrogance and unrepentant aggression, all under the guise of service to the public.

Disinformation exist...yes. Case in point. On the official government website for the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, there is a statement which reads "Marcel Breuer, a participant in the innovative Bauhaus Movement, planned and designed the building, working closely with his associate Hamilton Smith, although Breuer did not live to see its completion". This is not true! The building was completed in 1980, Breuer died in 1981. And almost one year ago I called the executive offices of the library system and informed them of this, by phone and through email...then again by phone. And too this day, they have never corrected themselves.

Humm, maybe we can just chalk that up to an oversight. Then again, why not just say that Marcel Breuer was from the planet Mars? Sure, why bother oneself with nagging details and critical facts, like when a person died?

Nonetheless, Orhan Ayyuce, I genuinely appreciate your interest in this matter. But rest assured, as I have seen and as is on the public record in my town, this thing is far from over. And though I would prefer that it all be done in a most tidy, gentile way, it would be dishonest and deceptive to try and suggest that this monumental matter is for the faint at heart. As with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, political careers under scrutiny and an entire city block of AAA Downtown Atlanta real estate possibly up for grabs, there's a good chance that the road to victory might get a little rough.

Finally, to anyone reading this now, who has no idea who I am, let me say this for the record. Mostly what I am concerned with on the issue of preserving the Breuer building here in Atlanta or otherwise, is living my life as a man of integrity. My life is an open book and I have never made any pretenses about putting "niceness" above the facts or above the truth. As for anyone familiar with living a life based on truth knows, that under questionable clouds of unsubstantiated vagueness and duplicitous innuendo, the truth can sometimes seem quite sobering, if not downright rude.

I am interested in serving the good of the public. And in that process, one might not always like what I have to say, but I will take any and all to task who attempt to disparage my name.

In gratitude, honesty, truth, integrity and service,

Thank you.

Jan 3, 09 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
outed

max,

i don't know where to begin with you. perhaps you've watched too many x-files or some such conspiracy laden shows. maybe not.

you have concluded that two items (that fulton county's library system need for a bigger facility and a bond referendum to fund such a new building) have unequivocally combined to generate an active campaign to tear down the breuer.

i'll ask you: have you ever sat down with john szabo or rob pitts to talk with them directly about what their future vision for the breuer is? have you? or are you merely taking bits of articles and promulgating a nefarious conspiracy to tear it down based on your past experiences? if you can't go straight to the source and compose yourself long enough to carry a civil conversation, why should we believe a word of your drivel?

one does not equal the other. i'll be in line to help save the building here if it gets close enough to that point. until then, it's none of your freaking business what the library has decided to do in terms of building a new facility (did you know, for example, that they are legally bound to build a bigger facility, due to intown growth over the past decade?). i'll also be the first to help find another compatible use for the building when (or if) the library decides to move out.

you're paranoid, delusional, and you're not doing anything genuinely productive towards your own stated end. it's no wonder the library folks have ignored your various pleas.

Jan 3, 09 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Max Eternity

To Citizens-At-Large and to the administrators of Archinect:

Thank you for providing the bandwidth and space for this discussion.

Truly.

And that said, I find myself compelled to also say this.

It is my policy to address only those individuals who are legally traceable - verifiable - online or otherwise. As well, for anyone who thinks that I have not been a major asset to the preservation effort here in Atlanta, perhaps one might be remiss to talk to anyone involved, like Jere Woods, The Mayor of The City of Roswell, curator and art historian Susan Piedmont-Palladino, Isabelle Hyman - Professor Emerita at NYU and Executive Director of AIA Atlanta Susan Ellis-Proper, as well as many, many others. But too this, for anyone in Atlanta who attended the Fulton County Commissioners meeting where I spoke and received a standing ovation in cheers and applause afterwards, by virtually everyone sitting in the pews...I think it's fair to say that...yes, I am a valuable asset - that I am technically proficient and of very sound mind.

I claim not perfection in character, but I can assure that the attention and support that I have received from Deputy Director, John Stanley of The Whitney Museum, architect Carl Stein, preservationist Susan Miller and many, many others...I seem to be hitting the nail on the head.

Furthermore...

Again and again I say...there is a legally binding paper trail, which speaks for itself. And with that said, I'll restate this. In my efforts, I have amassed a legally binding paper trail that is absolutely irrefutable. Every claim that I make in arguing the case for preservation is supported by redundantly documented fact and not, rumors or hearsay.

I question no one's mental health. I only question the paper trail of legally binding facts, which clearly show that the originally guaranteed funding of $34,000,000 that was meant to upgrade and renovate an already massive building - 8-stories high and around 250,000 square feet in size - sitting on an entire city block - fully serving it's original purpose - has now had that funding taken away and re-diverted, along with another $50,000,000 for which to put a down payment towards building a new Central Library, with not a shred of legally binding documentation which proves that the leadership accountable has any commitment to preserve the original Breuer site...as a library or otherwise.

Facts, not word-of-mouth and/or hearsay, are what hold in a court of law, Rhetoric, bullying, veiled-threats or covert attempt to slander...do not.

My identity is known.

My goals are stated and firmly shored-up.

Thus, until The Fulton County Commissioners and The Executive Director of the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System, produce transparent, legally binding documentation, implicitly stating a legally binding commitment to restore and preserve The Breuer as a library or otherwise...my effort will continue ahead - full steam ahead.

Respectfully Yours,

Jan 3, 09 10:31 pm  · 
 · 

i think we all here would agree that the library should stay where it is and that - ideally - it should remain a library.

i haven't yet understood how it's endangered, and i hope that everybody's temperatures can be lowered enough to clarify this for me. we don't need to be fighting about who knows more, whose motives are better, and who's more sane.

as i understand it, some political types have made last-minute manipulations of the funding for some work that needs to happen. if it's like my city a LOT of this kind of manipulation is happening right now given the fluky rollercoaster ride our economy has taken - and they're all controversial. this funding sleight-of-hand, however, doesn't mean 'demo permit' to me. what am i missing?

and max, you've already got some of your potential allies on the defensive here. try to ease into this slowly and we might be with you. if we buy in, we can be helpful.

first, what is a legally binding paper trail? as i understand it there is evidence that is legally admissible and then there are legally-binding contracts. an admissible paper trail will not be a guarantee of any particular legal outcome. contracts are contracts, probably not requiring a paper trail.

for mapa folk that might be interested in this, there is some interesting documentation of the library in the smithsonian archives, here: http://www.aaa.si.edu/collectionsonline/breumarc/index.cfm

laru, if you're willing to wade in, i'd like to hear more about what's actually planned here. is there an 'official' line?

Jan 4, 09 8:36 am  · 
 · 
Max Eternity

To Archinect, Susan Miller, Orhan Ayyuce, Steven Ward and the Citizens-At-Large:

On this website, with Susan Miller having created a post entitled “Atlanta Breuer endangered”, many comments have quickly followed. Susan Miller, Steven Ward and I have all, in one or more attributed comment, provided a link or links so as to provide independent follow-up for all concerned. And all of the comments posted thus far have been submitted by individuals providing first and last names…except for one commenting individual who only provided not a first and last name, but just one name. This same individual offers no written documentation whatsoever – no paper trail – that might provide credence to what they now claim – to suggest that others are overreacting by ‘hyperventilating’ and/or watching “too many x-files or some such conspiracy laden shows” and referring to me as “paranoid, delusional “…stating the following in one of their comments:

“all of my information came directly from the director of the library system, who lives in the building currently. i've spoken to him at length about what their plans for the building are. and, yes, of course if they sell it as part of the plan, it could be torn down. the library system itself could decide to tear it down next week. i'm having to trust what i've been told and who has told it to me.” Then also going on to write in their comment(s) “you're paranoid, delusional, and you're not doing anything genuinely productive towards your own stated end”

Now, with that in mind, in tandem, ask yourself this. Since when does such a claim(s) validate “truth” and legitimization when the individual making the claim affirms it to be so all-the-while providing no evidence in the form of well-sourced, legally binding and or legally admissible, phone records, emails, links to news articles, government contracts, sworn affidavits, press releases, audio tape, video recordings or anything of the sort or otherwise?

And yet it is plainly stated in the legally binding Fulton County Library Bond Referendum’s Library Facility Master Plan – drafted by the offices of it’s Executive Director, John Szabo – that the $34,000,000 which had formally been attributed, in the original Library Facility Master Plan, not the one that was amended by Commissioner Rob Pitts and endorsed by John Szabo, is now to be re-directed along with an additional $50,000,000 (totaling $84M) to be used as the initial funds raised (down payment) for the building of a new Central Library. This is not what someone told me. This is self-evident as it is expressed in a litany of redundant documentation at the government level, NGO’s, the mainstream press and independent press. And as well, to fully clarify the preservation issue, within the writing(s) of the Library Facility Master Plan (amended) and the passing Library Bond Referendum, there is no language whatsoever, that can be attributed to any responsible government executive implicitly stating that as a library or otherwise, the existing Breuer will be assured preservation.

And that is why the language of the first paragraph of the online petition states this:

“We call to you attention that any and all attempts to obscure, defund and otherwise, with willful intent, delegitimize the great, historical significance of the currently standing and fully functioning, 28 year-old Atlanta-Fulton Central Public Library, are now being met with resistance; as witnessed in the formation of this petition, operating in tandem with other forms of collective civic action.”

Now…

To Steven Ward, since you asked specific questions that seem perfectly reasonable to ask.

I respond.

Thank you for your interest in the cause for preserving the Breuer in Atlanta. I noticed that you just recently responded to a post that was originally submitted by Susan Miller, which has since received a rapid succession of comments, some by users whose identity(s) seem less than entirely clear.

Nonetheless, let me just address a few key points relating to questions that you pose in your own comment(s) to Susan Miller's Post.

You state:

first, what is a legally binding paper trail? as i understand it there is evidence that is legally admissible and then there are legally-binding contracts. an admissible paper trail will not be a guarantee of any particular legal outcome. contracts are contracts, probably not requiring a paper trail.

My response:

A legally binding paper trail and or contract is in full manifest as rendered in the Fulton County Library Bond Referendum that gives the authority to the County Commissioners and the Executive Director of the Library System a mandate to strip $34,000,000 of money that had been in tact as monies for restoration/preservation of Central when just a few months prior the Bond Referendum existed as the original (unamended) Library Facility Master Plan.

[Chairman of The Fulton County Commission is John Eaves, and in written and video transcripts he states that the original plan received full support from all concerned – that it was not until Commissioner Pitts successfully (with Ex. Dir. John Szabo endorsement) had the plan amended so as to defund the Breuer. Thereafter John Eaves is on the public record of saying that thereafter, that was when the deluge of calls and emails – hundreds he says - began to pour in, all rejecting Pitt’s amendment – pleading for a return to the original plan, with two of the county’s respective mayors of two of it’s largest cities therein - Roswell and Sandy Springs, - making a passionate plea before the board in the form of a well-prepared oration given by Jere Woods, Mayor for the City of Roswell. With, in an email sent directly to me (I have a copy for all who wish to see) a dissenting commissioner, Lynn Riley, says "it was disappointing that a comprehensive library facility master plan could be hijacked for an un-substantiated purpose".]

Furthermore, at all of the County Commissioners meetings, a gaggle of attorneys are present, ensuring the legally binding/admissible status of all that gets endorsed. Thus all verifiable documents and communication attributed to this process, can be used to support what has transpired. And since I have compiled much of this, including emails from county employees and a plethora of other documents of note, it would be quite reasonable to say that I have a legally binding/admissible paper trail.

So, sticking to addressing questions posed in your (Steven Ward’s) comment.

Steven writes:

"i haven't yet understood how it's endangered"

My response:

The money for restoration/preservation has been stripped away; this being done with a parallel directive to replace the existing Breuer site, with a new site. This also being done with Commissioner Rob Pitts being quoted in the press lamenting his great displeasure with the site's architectural aesthetic - with the Library System's Executive Director, John Szabo, lavishing praise on Pitts and passionately advocating through the local media - time and time again - how much he desires a new Central, while never, ever putting in writing anything that would suggest a ratified commitment to preserve the existing site as a library or otherwise.

-

I hope this helps. But also, if you have read the online petition or if you will, I specifically direct you to the second paragraph, which states "We call to your attention that this declaration makes no assumptions about what may become, as we are most concerned with what we feel should be." This is to say that no one can wholly predict with total accuracy, the outcome of what is now in effect. Yet with what information is already known, there is enough cause for concern; to then make the effort to, in writing, as to address the directive of what is felt SHOULD be.

The building, like all buildings, needs funding, And wisely – prior - the funding was set aside - $34,000,000. The funding was then stripped away. And therein lies the turning point. That is a problem; especially in light of the fact that that money was rededicated toward a down payment on a new site, serving the exact same purpose. And as though like with varying states of human health, there being shades of gray. But when one does not have the required funding to maintain a desirable level of good health - a threat to one's health ensues. The same is true for an architectural site, especially when such a site is of long-lasting historical significance.

Some say, and I agree that prevention (preservation) is the best cure; particularly when so much is at stake. With it being my observation that one would be ill advised to wait around for all apparent, irreconcilable symptoms of “danger” to become full manifest, before springing into action.

Respectfully yours,

Max Eternity
http://www.petitiononline.com/mbcla/petition.html

P.S. I too, have spoken with the offices of John Szabo, Rob Pitts, John Eaves and many others. Specifically, I have a very lengthy paper trail of emails in which I corresponded with Chairman John Eaves offices...time and time again. However, I will not attempt to speak for any of these individuals on this site or any other, as what they have already said is full-well on public record. There is only one legitimate government operating in Fulton County and it's representatives a most adept at expressing it's aims. For in a court of law, recorded transcripts and other verifiable documentation, always takes precedent over what was supposed to have been heard/said by an individual, with no traceable reference(s) and no last name.

Jan 4, 09 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

some sketches of the atlanta library from the Breuer archives at Syracuse University:

link

Jan 4, 09 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
millerbowen

From Virtual Activism - "but also a realization that, without explicit protections and meaningful action, more notable examples of modern architecture would be subject to the same end."

It seems that perhaps Max is not the only person who feels that a chorus of preservationists could be useful.

Docomomo Georgia, US and International also seem to have recognized a potential threat: http://docomomoga.org/wordpress/?p=132

So I posted here in hopes that mapa would lift its voice, even if just to sign on to the petition or perhaps write letters to support the building's preservation.

I can't think of anything more reassuring than a series of statements from the library director, the library board, the city and the county indicating that Atlanta vows to protect and preserve Breuer's last building in perpetuity.

Even now our Ameritrust Tower remains in limbo due to the economic downturn. The good news is that while the developer has been unable to secure funding, concurrently the county (who still owns it) is also reporting a budget deficit, so it is unlikely that they will be able to tear it down.

This continued watchdogging is exhausting. I'm not even a preservationist or an architect, just a citizen who loves good buildings.

The story of our Breuer debacle is chronicled here as well: http://realneo.us/content/saving-breuers-ameritrust-tower

Jan 7, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
millerbowen

Thanks mistermoustache - I had to do a little digging, but is this the interest to which you refer?

From The Architectural Record article on Houser and Walker October 2008
"the Toco Hills Library, which just broke ground and is scheduled for completion in 2009. The city of Atlanta had a bond referendum pass allowing it to choose a pool of architecture firms to design 14 branch libraries. “We killed ourselves to get in that pool,” says Walker. Despite the effort to get into the water, they were shocked to find themselves, well, swimming happily in the deep end, so to speak. “It was surprising to us how well we did against the firms we were competing against,” says Houser. “But that success has given us the impetus and confidence to go out there and figure out how to compete again.”"

I would be the last to stand in the way of business development, but I do feel salty when I am admonished in online forums and discussions. (Ouch - not very sugary, but decidedly vinegary).

I believe that there are others besides Max Eternity, me and Isabelle Hyman who are concerned about the future of Breuer's library. If there weren't, why would preservation advocate Jon Buono have brought it up at docomomo's 10th International Conference to an audience of preservation and cultural heritage experts representing over fifty countries in Rotterdam this past fall?

What I learned here in Cleveland is that taxpayers have to be on their toes lest their tax dollars are spent on unnecessary "lapel pin" or "campaign war chest payback" projects and preservationists have to coalesce to preserve our built heritage and history - the sooner the better.

docomomo.us has this "In November, Fulton County voters will consider approval of a $275 million bond issue, which would allow partial funding for the new facility. These plans include funds raised through selling the current property – with no plans for preservation or adaptive use of the structure."

November has come and gone...

Jan 8, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
outed

wow. so, we have one anonymous person register an account just to try and out another member on the board. classy. nothing like hiding behind a curtain of transparency, right?

just for the record, i'll offer an apology to max (and miller) - my comments, upon looking at them again, were certainly more vicious than was called for and i offer no excuse other than to chalk it up to a bad day and bad judgment in writing. i do disagree with how you're going about the preservation efforts for the building, but we'll simply have to diverge on that point. also, i would simply point out that, in my opinion, this situation does not resemble the one in cleveland, nor has it been elevated anywhere near that. also, i'll just state again: trying force the hand of the county in this situation is going to more harm than good. take that as you will. and, for the record, i have no personal stick in the game. i'd rather not move the library, personally, but what i want personally may not match up with where the library system is going.

other than that, there's probably not much left for me to contribute. i've said what i know and you all are free to believe what you wish. in the end, just remember that most of us want the building to stay up.

Jan 8, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

laru I sent you an email via your archinect address with my screen name in the subject line.

Jan 8, 09 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

...and seriously, mistermoustache: totally uncool. Obnoxious and uncalled for.

Jan 8, 09 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
e

i agree. it's rude and uncalled for mistermoustache.

Jan 8, 09 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: