Archinect
anchor

EXTERIOR SIGNAGE

spaghetti

Was curious if you guys know of any intriguing or contemporary exterior signage (preferrably looking for ground/floor signage at exterior application... i.e. Big letters/numbers standing upright on the ground...)...

or for exterior patio/garden signage... exterior building signage...

I saw some on Pentagram that was interesting, but could not find exactly what I am "searching for"...

thanks !

Dec 29, 08 4:53 pm

Well, there's 1616 Eastlake in Seattle, done by Studio SC

There's also the I am Amsterdam sign... not sure who did this, I should take the time to look it up.

And a big 9 somewhere.... why can't I find it anywhere?! Was that the Pentagram one? My mind is scattered today, but hopefully that yields a decent jumping-off point for more people's thoughts.

Dec 29, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

previously, on archinect

Dec 29, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

ooh, also Caltrans, of course...

Dec 29, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti

I thin kthe 9 was Pentagram or SOM? in midtown NYC, right?

Dec 29, 08 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

as much as i find caltrans' 100 well executed mechanically, i find it equally arbitrary and overdressed for the party. it seems like a wasted effort on the sophisticated apparatus. it is not like caltrans' most active message is a dead address numbers on an expensive platform.
roads, bridges and freeways are very dynamic and information activated spaces, and therefore a static address number sign remains to be a graphical gymnastic, a decorative sign, and not very innovative with its info content. perhaps telling more about the rest of the building design or contradicting it.
just painting a critical scenario here...

Dec 29, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

totally agree Orhan. I even mentioned it in my undergrad thesis, that going to such lengths just to say '100' was overblown. But, in the signage world, when you're looking at what's possible, it rocks as a reference, because it integrates with the architecture in a way that most signage does not.

spaghetti- it can be both. SOM building/ Pentagram signage... sounds right.

Dec 29, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
cowerd

san francisco international terminal: SOM

www.som.com/common/modules/gallery/dsp_image_gallery.cfm/sfia_signage?galleryCategoryID=504129&ImageIndex=1

apparently they are claiming credit for the signage. only the big building sign is their idea. assholes.

Dec 29, 08 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

minnaert by neutlings riedijk:

parsons by lyn rice (see recent feature):

Dec 30, 08 7:45 am  · 
 · 
narmer

The 9 is 9 West 57th in NYC by Serge Chermayeff (sign), tower is by SOM.

Photo here: http://www.thecityreview.com/57w9.html

Story from the NY Times:
9 WEST 57TH STREET
Designer: Ivan Chermayeff
The ski-slope contour of 9 West 57th Street, designed by Gordon Bunshaft of Skidmore Owings & Merrill, became the inspiration for this landmark street sculpture designed in 1974. ''Why not make the slope the launching pad for the nine and land it on the sidewalk?'' Mr. Chermayeff recalled. Of course, he understood that his little joke could be impractical, since the cost of being on city-owned property outside the building's boundary was considerably more than the cost of putting the nine on the travertine facade. But to his surprise the developer bought the idea. To make it stable, there is a steel column under the nine going down three floors to support the weight of the steel sculpture, which costs $100 a month in rent. But that's the least of the problems; as Mr. Chermayeff noted, the nine reads well from Fifth Avenue but is backward from Sixth Avenue. Also, he said, ''Being in the path of pedestrians, women run their diamond rings on it walking by, which means it needs to be repainted frequently.''

Dec 30, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

FOG, chain link graphics ?

http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=74403_0_24_0_C

Dec 31, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: