Archinect
anchor

best software for an interiors firm??

kateko14

We're a small corporate interiors firm who are looking for software that is the most comprehensive but user friendly - that can be used from schematics through design development through construction. We currently use AutoCAD 2008 LT - but really would like something that also has great 3D capabilities. Any thoughts??

Dec 22, 08 5:35 pm
Living in Gin

Regular AutoCAD should be more than adequate for corporate interiors work. Some might suggest Revit, but I think that would be overkill.

Dec 22, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

vanilla ACAD would work, though Revit is a bit more user-friendly and to nip anti in the bud--Rhino could work for you as well, but frankly it would most likely be overkill, though it's cheaper than LT

Dec 22, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Problem with using Revit on corporate interiors work is that most of the time, you're doing renovations of existing buildings, and Revit doesn't seem to be very effective at distinguishing new and existing construction. Also, you're typically working from base drawings that were created by somebody else (even though you'll no doubt do your own field verifications), and those drawings are almost always in AutoCAD format. Given the fast pace of most corporate interiors work, it's simply not practical to spend countless hours creating a Revit model from scratch of the existing conditions, before you even get around to showing your renovation work. Also, keep in mind that all your consultants and furniture vendors are going to be giving you AutoCAD drawings.

I can see using Revit for new ground-up construction, especially for larger projects, but I think it would be a colossal waste of time and energy to use it for most interiors work.

Rhino would be almost useless for construction documents, but might be useful for creating renderings.

As I mentioned on one of the other two duplicate threads, I used to work for a firm that did a lot of corporate interiors work, and our local Autodesk vendor was desperate to switch us over to Revit. But it was obvious he didn't have a clue what our work actually involved, and he never could respond to the issues we raised. Autodesk seems far more concerned with pushing their newest products than with actually providing solutions that work.

Dec 22, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

fuck AutoCAD go with VectorWorks. It allows you tighter and direct use of specifications and custom materials. It is a BIM software, without going to the major expense say with ArchiCAD or Revit. The results are beautiful too that for schematic won't require the use of photoshop (too much).

Dec 23, 08 2:15 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Ya living in gin makes good points... Maybe revit is overkill if all your do is interior TI's... Although the original question was for the best software that is user friendly, comprehensive for SD through CD's, and brings *great 3D capabilities*... Autocad is pretty weak on 3D...

Definitely don't lose your autocad... But autocad and revit are not the same thing... One is a drafting software (autocad is far superior as a drafting software for drawing details, sketches, etc.) whereas the other is a parametric modelling software... Revit is 3D and parametric and can spit out data for you. They're both autodesk products, and are compatible with one another.

Basically, you can't compare them... It'd be like comparing microsoft word to microsoft excel.

The analogy would be:

Microsft Word = Autodesk Autocad
Microsoft Excel = Autodesk Revit
Microsoft Powerpoint = Autodesk 3DS Max

I know it's not a perfect analogy, but it sort of works... I could make tables in word, or in powerpoint, but the tables aren't database linked like the one I can make in excel... Conversely I could write an essay on powerpoint or excel but that would be ridiculous compared to writing it in Word...

Maybe these autodesk software will all eventually be more integrated like Microsoft office...

Regarding lineweights in Revit, I've only used it in school so never very thorough to prepare a real set of drawings, but I would imagine if I were to distinguish between existing construction vs. new construction, I would do it by creating different wall types: "existing wall type A" vs. "new wall type A"... In much the same way that you would typically distinguish between existing and new walls by layers in autocad... Within revit families (including the wall types) you can customize them from the actual wall composition to the section cut pattern to the plan notation (I think), so I would imagine you would assign the "existing wall type A" to carry a different line weight or hatch in plan view... Not 100% sure...

Dec 23, 08 3:58 am  · 
 · 
kateko14

If revit is compatible with AutoCAD drawings, it would probably be our best option. Thanks so much to everyone for all of your help!!

Dec 23, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

Revit is fully compatible with ACAD drawings; AutoCAD even comes with Revit if you buy the Architecture Suite

You can use existing drawings in Revit without needing to modify them (you can apply lineweights by layer or object)
It exports trueDWG files; you can control the exported layers properties/names.

The trick is figuring out what to model and what not to model--if an object is only going to show up in plan or elevation there's no need to make it 3D. Plus, clever use of symbolic lines in families is a huge time saver, especially for furniture(only if you're not showing 3D) or things like outlets.

All of the Revit projects I've done have been existing buildings, mostly working on interiors--it is very easy to distinguish between new and existing (using phases) and really doesn't take much time to model an existing building if you have a CAD underlay--the only real caveat is that you absolutely need training, or a couple good books if you feel comfortable learning that way.

It is an entirely different way of working and it is not without faults, but used properly it can be very beneficial (this goes for any BIM program) to the design and documentation process.

Dec 23, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

hey , Living in Gin, it has the exact same use as autocad for CD's, add VisualARQ and it is on part with architectural desktop, ad archcut and can can get 2d data from your 3d model similar to revit.

like rehiggins said it is cheaper and more powerful, not to mention it has the best support around 24/7

I think it is the most easy and most powerful 3d geometry software, and it is muti talented.

but if you are familiar with LT i would suggest you try the Intellicads, Bricscad architecturals, or progecad pro. you will feel right at home pay way less and have full dwg compatible solid surface even down to the lisp you may use?

Dec 23, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Right... In any of your families, you have "symbolic lines" that only appear in 2D views (such as plan or elevation) that become the symbol in that drawing... And you can make parts of the 3D object only show up in 3D...

So, for example, a door, in plan can have symbolic lines in plan that show a door swing, but when you look at it in 3D it actually is a 3D door...

And you can make custom doors families... Start from a standard door family and then make a unique door that has a custom look to it... a special lite or relite or transom... or whatever.... a pivoting door/wall panel, etc... So you design by customizing a family... A family is almost like a little programmable block that has parameters that you can define... So for example: you can make a door that has a parameter height, width, etc... or location of pivot... or a lite with in it that you can tweak the location or size of in each instance where you drop in that door "family"...

But families have different classes... A door or a window, at their most basic, know that they sit "in a wall", so you can, in elevation or in plan just drop them into the wall whereever or whenever you want... So once you have built up your library of families, you can reuse them anywhere you want, and make them customized to the location...

And you can reuse your custom families in future projects... Sort of like custom details... The more projects you do, the more families (custom parametric "blocks") you build up... So you can reuse and modify them, just like carrying some details from one projet to the next...

Dec 23, 08 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
harold

Here are two files you can download of a recent presentation given at AU. It's about techniques that can be used for large interior projects with the use of BIM (in this case Revit).

Powerpoint

http://uploading.com/files/GHO78S8B/AB110-4_AU_08_AEC_Techniques-for-Large-Project-Architectural-Interiors-in-Revit_2008-12-01.ppt.html

PDF

http://uploading.com/files/1YS4IOV6/Revit for interior designers.pdf.html

Dec 24, 08 6:03 am  · 
 · 
harold

About the comment that Revit isn't effective at distinguishing new and existing construction. We use Revit on interior projects because it' has a phasing tool that works very well.

Dec 24, 08 6:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: