Archinect
anchor

International development

presut

Hi,

I had posted this on business&eco but didn't really get any replies there, so I'm hoping for some views from here.

I'm currently still in my graduation but I'm very interested in working in getting involved with urban and international development, policy making or designing for social change( directly), I want to basically apply my knowledge of architecture to Int dev....

I've been researching and found a few interesting organizations like Architecture  for humanity and habitat for humanity that have fellowship programmes and internship opportunities and UNCTAD also has pretty good job opportunities but they need previous experience upto 3+ years.

Im wondering, while I'm still pursuing my graduation, what are the opportunities I can and should take up and what kind of a masters would be more helpful for me? I Was interested in urban planning or something on the lines of Sci-Arc's Masters in future initiatives.Also, where else and how do I go about looking for jobs/ internships in this field. I live in the asia pacific region. I also have a year's worth of volunteering experience as a student. I want to take up a good internship in the coming summer? Any organizations that I can look up?

Does anyone know of any other interesting tangent I could look at?

Oct 13, 13 9:04 am
gwharton

Most international development work is essentially nation-building and applied geopolitics (what the Marxists would have called soft imperialism). If you're seriously interested in that, you need to strip away all your altruistic/social justice thinking and look at it from the standpoint of pure Macchiavellian power politics. You'll be a lot happier and more effective in the job if you do so. Otherwise, the ethical conflicts you'll find yourself tangled up in will make you miserable and the stuff you'll find yourself doing will be making the problems you're concerned about much worse rather than better.

Oct 14, 13 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: