Archinect
anchor

Good book on design activism

nightrain

Newly released book by Metropolis Books:

Expanding Architecture: Design as Activism presents a new generation of creative design carried out in the service of the greater public and the greater good. Questioning how design can improve daily lives, editors Bryan Bell and Katie Wakeford map an emerging geography of architectural activism--or "public-interest architecture"--that might function akin to public-interest law or medicine by expanding architecture's all too often elite client base. With 30 essays by practicing architects and designers, urban and community planners, historians, landscape architects, environmental designers and members of other fields, this volume presents recent work from around the world that illustrates the ways in which design can address issues of social justice, allow individuals and communities to plan and improve their own lives and serve a much larger percentage of the population than it has in the past. This new inclusionary practice must define new services and new processes, and these are illuminated in the generously illustrated texts as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933045787/ref=s9sims_c1_14_at1-rfc_p_si3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1C9DS07GNJFC8PF1HXN9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383391&pf_rd_i=507846

Dec 21, 08 10:02 am
snook_dude

Sounds like more regulation...which Kills ARCHITECTURE! Mindless people meddling with ARCHITECTURE by placing their personal stamp on it.

Dec 21, 08 11:34 am  · 
 · 
lekizz

Nothing to do with regulation, as far as I understand it, participatory architecture is all about allowing people (residents, tenants, owners, occupiers...) having more say in the creation of their built environment.

The idea is not exactly new, it has just never caught on in a big way... yet.

Sounds like an interesting book!

Dec 21, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

I have this on my Christmas list.

Dec 21, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

this book sounds interesting - thanks for sharing!

Dec 21, 08 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

lekizz: Ok design by Comittee, usually results in a screwed up project. I have been involved in enough community meetings to
know and understand how a good idea can turn to crap in a matter
of minutes once the know it alls grab ahold of it and inject there ass
backward thoughts into the mix.

Dec 21, 08 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like you don't know how to run a community meeting, snook. ;D

Dec 21, 08 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

Snook you should write a book on the wrong way to do it which you seem to have down.

Dec 21, 08 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
archchic77

I'm enjoying this book so much. It's really inspiring for someone like me, just beginning my career. Projects of varying scales are included. There is alot of emphasis on how to form meaningful working relationships among various groups to ensure that good design and a focus on the clients' needs are not compromised.

Dec 22, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
thebrodel

as someone still trying to decipher the architecture field and where i fit in, and also as someone who sees design as holistic problem-solving, i feel like this book is inspiring and exciting. to know that the architectural skills and design thinking we are taught and acquire can benefit a broader scope of "clients," and can be practiced in a myriad ways, and can be applied anywhere is heartening.

the nov/dec issue of Azure wrote a book review which began, aptly, with:

"This is the Barack Obama of books. It tells a story about the change we need in the fields of architecture and urban design, professions that have lost their way, easily seduced by wealthy clients. And much like the presidential Democrat, this book of slightly radical ideas is attractively packaged in a way that can’t be easily dismissed."

Dec 22, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: