Archinect
anchor

Landscape Architects Design Buildings?

urbs-in-horto

This may seem like a silly question to those in the know, but do any landscape architects out there design some buildings as part of their practice?

Does a scaper's training involve some building/structural design?

Does licensing allow him to put his stamp on the design of a park structure (i.e. toilets, pool hall) or even a small house?

...or does he have to call in the "architects" for those aspects of the job.

Just curious.

Dec 20, 08 6:04 am

we frequently team with landscape architects in the kind of project you describe. i don't know that they can do MUCH in the way of shelter, but i bet there is a line where it's questionable whether something is shelter or landscape feature.

wouldn't expect they could do restroom buildings.

we just got invited by an l.a. this week to partner with him going after a project involving a series of open shelters. we've worked with him several times before.

Dec 20, 08 8:13 am  · 
 · 

i think that a lot of the larger firms have some licensed architects on staff which would allow them to do buildings...

Dec 20, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
urbs-in-horto

So in other words, someone strictly licensed as an LA cannot do buildings?

To clarify my inquiry, I'm an urban planning undergrad thinking of doing a masters in architecture after graduation. I love landscapes, parks, green spaces, public squares, etc. so I've thought of doing an MLA. However, I would hesitate if it meant never being able to design a building. Perhaps that means I don't want to do LA.

Dec 20, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

I've designed more buildings then landscapes. But am I an architect or 'scaper? Somedays I don't remember which....

One of my colleagues is a well known RLA who has 'designed' quite a number of high-rise buildings in Mpls while working at architecture firms. so it all comes down to context.

legally, there are limits to what a RLA can stamp and what sorts of projects require an RLA or civil's stamp, just like most single family and slightly bigger residential projects don't need an architect's stamp.

Conceivably, an RLA can design a restroom building or similar amenity structure, not that they would want to.

There are quite a number of well known multi-disciplinary practitioners out there who wear both hats. There are even more architecture firms that do landscapes, and engineering firms that do architecture, and landscape firms that do buildings by having an interdisciplinary staff or principals in each discipline.

The joy of landscape architecture should be its own reward - there is more potential for growth according to various employment projections. If you are truly conflicted, get a dual mla/march.

Dec 20, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
urbs-in-horto

Thanks, your response is VERY appreciated.

Dec 20, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

The building code and the Architects act will determine what a landscape Architect can and can't design , just like any other joe blow. A landscape architect could design a house if he wanted to just like my brother in law did and he's a doctor.

But typically one might expect that some garden / landscape structure may require the consultation with a structural eng / arch / elec / mech consultants, its not unrealistic to have the Landscape Architect to be the lead consultant on a large urban project.

Dec 22, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
urbs-in-horto

Whistler-

Very interesting, that last sentence : "not unrealistic to have the Landscape Architect to be the lead consultant on a large urban project."

I'm curious- did you train as an LA, Arch, or both?

Dec 22, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I did both and worked on a large urban park that was built on a suspended slab over a major transportation rail line. we ran the job and had the whole thing engineered and then had a couple free standing Post modern archie kinda things throughout that we designed and then had one of our consulting architects assist with the drawing sets, no interior space more detailing aspects that our office wasn't up to speed with.

Dec 22, 08 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
urbs-in-horto

These are all interesting and informative posts.

If I had to choose between an MLA or an MArch, I'm still not sure which one I'd pick. I'll probably visit a few schools first, likely in Illinois (home state).

This phrase does stick with me though: "The joy of landscape architecture should be its own reward".

Dec 23, 08 6:33 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

IIT has a nacent landscape architecture program that seems quite interesting. I recently served on a jury with Peter Osler. Both he and Eric Ellingsen have multi-disciplinary degrees. I like their dual focus on ecology and urbanism.

Dec 23, 08 10:27 am  · 
 · 
urbs-in-horto

Treekiller, I'll definitely look into IIT and visit when I get back to Chicago. I'll be doing a semester of urban design in Milan, Italy, starting this February.

Does anybody know anything about UI Urbana-Champaign's MLA program?

Dec 23, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: