Archinect
anchor

leaving architecture, did I make the right choice.

archrab77

I was attending one of the top architecture schools in the country, due to the overwhelming stress of studio work, I left and knowing how the market for architecture is, but still I felt like I let go of a great opportunity and contemplating of going back, is it really worth it? is it worth the time and investment? 

Oct 12, 13 1:46 pm
gruen
Not for you. Good luck with your next adventure.
Oct 12, 13 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

It is all subjective to what you are looking for out of your profession. Is it worth the time? Probably not. Is it worth the money? Again, probably not. But did you grow up with a passion for architecture? Are you a designer at heart, and love to create and envision? If you are looking for money, do you see yourself making that sacrifice and switching to a more economically-supported career, such as in business, marketing, computer science or medicine? And will you be satisfied with your life doing that?

I remember in my undergrad, the first year was a straight-forward weed-out year. We started off with about 120 undergrads the first week. By the end of second week, we dropped down to 100. By the end of first semester, we're down to maybe 70-60. By the end of fourth year, I graduated with the 50 core people who stuck in out through the program. That is the process they employ: those who can handle the stress and raw studio work make it to the end. If you can't handle that your first few years, then I promise you, you won't be able to handle it in your professional life as an architect either.

The market is a whole other story. It sucks, but supposedly picking back up. Who knows. I'm not educated enough to really understand what is going on.

Oct 12, 13 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: