Archinect
anchor

Office Wiki

usernametaken

I am currently working at a mid-sized office. The issue is that there is in fact a lot of knowledge around in the office (whether it's specific software tips & tricks, information on materials, or sustainability issues, an overview of where to find specific refences etcetera), but it's not stored in a single place. Everybody has a bit in their heads, there are some documents on the servers, but it's all not very accessible.

We've been talking about the idea of creating an office wiki, which sounds perfect, in principle: everybody can add information and browse through the pages when searching for specifics.
However, nobody has experience in setting up such a thing. So we don't know what the best software is to use, how to set it up on the server (independent from the internet) and more of these issues.

Does anybody have experience in setting up such a system in the office, and can provide me with some useful hints (or better yet: a step by step description of how they did it)? It would be greatly appreciated...

Dec 17, 08 10:43 am
archetecton

its a good idea. someone else was exploring that a while ago and I am trying to get my office to set one up.

Of course, the irony is that the same attitude which stalls such ideas also drives frustrated designers away, increasing our potential benefit.

*le sigh*

Dec 17, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

We implmented a more traditional intRAnet site for this purpose a year ago, and the lesson learned was that if you don't make it absurdly easy to upload and submit information you might as well give up now.

It's also important that you really think through your organization system. We have sector based studios, so there was a desire to split categories on those lines, but then there are a number of issues that cross all building types as well. It gets confusing pretty quick, and your site can be a mess if you don't have someone spending a few hours each week making sure people are placing things in the right place.

We're currently revamping the site, using this. Lucky for me, my firm is large enough to have an IT department that takes care of the dirty work, so I'm not going to be any help there. What I really like about this platform is that it indexes the files you load, meaning if I have a pdf or something loaded it will search within the file (not just the title) whenever I run a query.

Best of luck! Please update us on what software you decide on...

Dec 18, 08 11:16 am  · 
 · 
brer
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=61954_0_42_0_C

At the bottom of that thread I give a step-by-step of how I set up the wiki for our office of ~50 employees.

It has taken a few months for it to take hold and get some respect, but now I hear people say "why isn't this information on the wiki" quite often. Which is good because it means the employees are seeing the benefit of having that information collected in one place.

Dec 18, 08 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: