Archinect
anchor

quick 3dsmax animation question

ballyhoo

using 3dsmax's animation tool, is it possible to make layers of objects appear successively as the animation progresses?

for example, i have a cube, sphere and cone placed in a scene, and they are all on separate layers.

in an animation, i want to make the cube appear first, then the sphere and then the cone.

what would be the best way to do this? i am trying it out with hide/unhide by name and keying them in, but it doesn't seem to be the right type of tool to be using.

thanks!

Dec 16, 08 9:13 pm
d-arch

Move them out of view, then move them back into the original position for the relevant frame. Quick & easy.

Dec 16, 08 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

you can animate the transparency, just offset the keyframes and you can control exactly when each piece shows up/disappears.

Dec 17, 08 8:46 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

you can also animate the transparency of the material on the object itself. just be sure to check the appropriate box "materials" in the [transformer] dialog.

[right click on something near the frame # on the lower right of the screen... i'm not in front of max atm] ;)

Dec 17, 08 9:41 am  · 
 · 
ballyhoo

thanks everyone. i ended up keying in objects out of the scene in one frame, then put them back into the camera shot in the next frame. it worked well.

Dec 17, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: