Archinect
anchor

AUTOCAD 2009 Viewport issues, Saving, opening and closing.

jaol

Can anyone help me with a slow Autocad 2009 issue? Any time I open, close, create viewports, or work in model space through paperspace into the viewport the program works much slower. It is very annoying and it becomes hard to be productive. I don't like taking 1 minute just to open and close a file. Please help!!

Dec 16, 08 4:07 pm
Living in Gin

Hmm...

Have you tried cleaning extra annotation scales from your drawings and any xrefs? Download the free cleanup utility here.

Dec 16, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
jaol

Sure I can try, but this is when I even create brand new dwg files.

Dec 16, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Damn don't tell me Autocad has given another autodud...and called it 2009. WTF is with this company..... Maybe with the downturn they will start discounting their products....we can wish...but something tells me they will not. Maybe it is the time for a revolution when we have no work for everyone to Jump Ship and head into a different Program. It would have to be an organized effort....but it might result in more affordable product and at the same time higher performing product. I'm starting to think of Auto Cad how I think of
GMC.....They have served their life now it is time to move on.

Dec 16, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

do you have the layers palette open?
is the xref palette open?
do you have the "quick properties" (the one that follows the cursor) turned on?

any one of these will cause the slowdown you're experiencing (doesn't matter the hardware you're running)

Dec 16, 08 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
jaol

Yay!!

Thanks rehiggins!! I turned off the layers palette and all my problems went away. I figured out how to turn the "quick properties" off right away when I started to use 2009 because its just plain annoying. I think that all these graphics heavy programs that are coming out is just taking up way too much valuable memory!

Thank you..thank you... thank you!

Dec 17, 08 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
sgnt13

check your memory too...you should have at least 2 gb to run autocad 2009.

Dec 17, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
jaol

we have 4 on each machine

Dec 17, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
TenaciousArchitect2b

I think you should reformate ur pc. it works for me... when I doubt, reformate it!

Dec 22, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

and when you have it just where you want use deepfreeze or returnil

Dec 22, 08 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

guys/gals/?

this is not a hardware issue at all--it's purely AutoCAD and the only way to make it better is not run with the layers palette open--this is a known bug and as far as I know there is no fix yet.

reformatting won't help

Dec 22, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm convinced Autodesk introduces a new version of AutoCAD each year purely as a way to showcase all the new bugs they've developed over the past 12 months, in addition to all the old classic bugs that never go away.

Dec 22, 08 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
jaol

In addition, this is a work machine and I don't have privelidges on my work machine to do all that work. I do not want to reformat since we pay gobs of money for an IT guy to figure these problems out! Besides its beyond my capacity to muck something up with my work computer. I didn't want to sound bad on this post but I'd rather not screw something up that my bosses paid lots of money for. I'd rather someone with those expertise fix it, so if they screw it up its not my problem.

Dec 23, 08 9:19 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

their development cycle doesn't give them enough time to fully test each version, plus I swear they don't employ people that have real production experience--any CAD monkey would have found this bug the first time they used the program

Dec 23, 08 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: