Dec 16, 08 3:07 am  · 
 · 

sexy, I know what I'd like to do with that,

those curves,
when it rains, rain drops sliding down those glistening mounds

Dec 16, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
niro

so we can design a museum that look like a boulder! woohoo!

Dec 16, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

*sigh*

But they escalators are STILL just escalators. I abhor that interior - human creatures are messy even after they die. Terrible site rendering. Interesting form? Meh. Interested space? NO. Interestingconstruction photographs? Yes.

Dec 16, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i think ill wait to judge to say if is an interesting space after 1. it gets finished and after 2. i cant visit it, i dont judge by an image and/or rendering...is just as shallow as a blob to do that ;)

Dec 16, 08 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

That is some sick framing..

Dec 16, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

structure is amazing. what are the individual members? tubes?

and where the heck do you find a structural engineer willing to do something like that? most i know will try to convince you not to attempt a 5' cantilever.

Dec 16, 08 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I'll go with MADianito - so far it looks like a big blob from 15 years ago that somehow snuck by unnoticed (they should all be dead by now).

When it is done will be the true test. I really hope those aren't the only renderings.

Dec 16, 08 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Macpod

i think it is brilliant. how many blobs from the 90's were built? how many of the naysayers here have built anything that tops this? seriously, now. does belittling MAD make you feel better in yourself or something? and who cares if the 90's were blob-ridden? is that an actual critique? surely there are more intelligent things to talk about...

i say kudos to the firm. the structure is very interesting in its own right...what the rest will look like is still too soon to tell, but i will hope for something just as interesting...let's see after it is done...

Dec 17, 08 2:53 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i tend to respect more to those who refuse to follow the fashion and not get commission than those who copy the current trend and sell it to the third world client.

Dec 17, 08 4:49 am  · 
 · 

your desire to maintain standards is worthy of respect, aspect.

i sorta thought the argument for lack of respect was because blobs were OUT of fashion, though. so not sure if your concerns are entirely honest.

China is a conflicted nation and has many problems, but i am actually pretty impressed that this nation has built buildings like this - in america i think it might be rather tough. really, who is leading and who following here? somehow i don't believe the clients feel like they have been preyed upon in the way you imply.

i would say that after living in japan for most of the last 15 years that a nation of incredibly banal architecture (which is what japan has embraced) is not particularly enriching, attractive, nor pleasant.

but more than that i know how hard it is to get anything of quality built, so the fact that this is going forward and seems to be doing so in interesting way is a rather impressive feet. it may end up looking so-so, but so far the structure wins me over. i would love to have the chance to oversee construction on that project...

Dec 17, 08 6:11 am  · 
 · 
trace™

yes, it makes me feel better to pick fun at this displaced blob, doesn't matter if it is Lynn of MAD. :-)

Like I said, I'll hold off on final opinions until the end result, but there were many reasons blobs failed, not only because they serve no functional (and I'd argue aesthetic) purpose.

Structure looks interesting (but so does the structure to any formal aggressive building) form does not.

Dec 17, 08 8:42 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

The formal discrepancy between exteriority and functional internal elements is schizophrenic re: Libeskind's tyrannical attempt at abolishing the co-planar and parallel. The culture which views this thing and the culture which uses it become intensely disconnected when the experience of viewing is dressed up this way.

That said, it isn't completed, which is the final test, and since its raining and gloomy out today I feel like a scrooge.

Dec 17, 08 9:35 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i like original stuff... works of trend followers simply looks banal...

Dec 17, 08 11:06 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I will say the structure is the key to this project. As someone said here, this blob design indeed make me feel good about my career. Anyone being in this project team will get hands on experience with
*Rhino,
*steel structure,
*develop blob design from SD to CD

The project's proportion looks good. MAD's creativity have my respectation.

Dec 17, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

so aspect, this is not 'original' enough? I suggest you post your own original backyard remodels before you jump to such conclusions.

jump is right. It is quite easy to render these in architecture school, but takes balls to actually get it through to construction phase. If its built, and the spaces are not interesting enough, it will still be far more interesting that most of the architecture that happens in your first-world country. (im assuming you are american)

Dec 17, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Q for modeling:

How to begin to model this kind of stuff? Any guessing? Do they come up with several internal space first, then bended column to connect all those space together. Then the surface. Of course, i think all this is in Rhino since Zaha is using Rhino too?

Dec 17, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Xing

this project has been stagnated for a while since they met unsloved problems of structure.

I would argue, this is a "wow" architecture, but what does this mean to its unique environment, the Ordos desert climate. I see huge areas of glass, and I hope it is facing north. I see interesting interior angles, but where is energy concern?

again, similar to Ordos 100 project, which becaming a 100 independent houses irrevalant to each other.

I only hope it is not the one like this:

http://www.archdaily.com/7014/ordos-100-2-luca-selva-architects/

Dec 17, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 

those are reasonable comments xing. i wonder about those things too. they don't seem to be foremost concerns of the design, though to be honest all that is green does not need to LOOK green. so one never knows.

peri, so so you think rem's essay on bigness is off the mark? can interior exterior clarity and all that be really possible for massive buildings?

Dec 17, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

CMRHM> for exterior- select nurbs sphere, adjust vertices, project nurbs circles, trim... convert to polygon

for interior- use polygon, polyextrude (for bridges), delete primitives(for holes), use polybevel (for rounding edges), smooth...

for contruction- call arup....

sameolddoctor- i assume u not aware of zaha works... besides, i'm stating my preferences.

Dec 17, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

sameolddoctor- also, me no americano, me chinaman at china.

Dec 17, 08 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

wow, alfred e. is designing a museum?

i knew he'd make something of himself....

Dec 17, 08 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Xing

jump,

of course, green does not mean tress, green color or any facial work, but I am sure this project has nothing to do with "green". The fact is, this huge scale curtain wall is very hard to maintain and cost tons of money since Ordos is in a sandy desert place where kissed by sandstorm often monthly.

Furthermore, it is not appropriate to only put some images here without any introduction about the backgrounds, plans, sections... i do not think this post makes sense. It makes sense to sort this post into our images gallery.

Dec 18, 08 12:01 am  · 
 · 
aspect

if it is in the desert, what's happen to lynn's urban parametric force that shape the deformation? ha!!

disclaimer- i like greg lynn's theory and work, but too many fake followers these days...

Dec 18, 08 2:43 am  · 
 · 
Macpod

A few updates.

Dec 23, 08 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: