Archinect
anchor

East Coast whirlwind

"The Co-op Guy"

Hey all, I'm going to be on the East Coast from the 16-24, and visiting NY, Philly, and DC. So far my list is:
NY: The Highline, MOMA, PS1, (jazz clubs)
Philly: The Barnes Foundation, Longwood Gardens? I don't know much good to see in Philly
DC: Museums, Capitol, etc. FDR memorial, Vietnam Vets memorial..

I've only been to the East once.
I know you guys will have some good suggestions for me! thanks

P

Dec 11, 08 8:25 pm
Supercabron

You can visit...halo lounge in washington dc. Very kool hip modern interior..I believe is in 14th st nw and p st nw....

Dec 12, 08 9:18 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

In Philly, go to the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts (PAFA) one of Furness' masterpieces. Go also to the Penn campus to see Kahn's Richard's Medical labs and the "Furness Library" aka the architecture library/studios, right next to the architecture building proper - another masterpiece.

On Spring Garden Street is Venturi's Guild House, and you can find his mother's residence outside the city - try googling it, I'm sure its address will show up somewhere.

And spend time walking around downtown: Society Hill, Elfreth's Alley, Rittenhouse Square, Broad Street (Vignoly's symphony hall and lots of other cultural facilities), Chinatown. It's all very walkable and the urbanity of the neighborhoods is great.

Dec 12, 08 9:34 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm sorry i missed the mutter museum when i was in philly.

Dec 12, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what are you going to visit on the Highline? has anything even been built or is still being cleaned up?

now, the only thing i would visit in Philly is the Mutter, but hey that's crazy me...

Dec 12, 08 10:06 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

it's great vado.

Dec 12, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

well i would highly suggest seeing eakins' Gross Clinic as well...

Dec 12, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

I had a date at the Mutter museum once. I think we had sushi AFTER... Maybe I didn't plan that very well...

I suggest going to see the Wharton Esherick museum. There are some other places in Center City and interesting spots in Fairmount Park as well, but I can't list all the places right now. Maybe later... Liberty bell got a lot of it though. Actually the (relatively) new building that houses the Liberty Bell is interesting and so is the Constitution Center designed by I.M. Pei.

Dec 12, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: