Archinect
anchor

fees may be too high to compete

kathye45

is 25% for each phase of the project (schematic, design, construction) too much in Lexington KY

Oct 8, 13 10:07 am
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

25% of what, the fee?

Oct 8, 13 10:31 am  · 
 · 
kathye45

buildings budget I think

Oct 8, 13 10:48 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

if you want work, just make sure you beat the lowest bidder.

Oct 8, 13 10:53 am  · 
 · 
kathye45

I work for a company that is mainly in civil environmental and mining engineering and are now trying to get architecture off the ground it has always been the experiment  and now that mining is in the toilet they want us to get more jobs but they want it to pay like mining did.

Oct 8, 13 11:09 am  · 
 · 
kathye45

The actual work force is underpaid the owners made the new director a Jr. partner so he is not inclined to push thing for us.

Oct 8, 13 11:11 am  · 
 · 
stone

It won't "pay like mining did" - not even close.

Oct 8, 13 11:23 am  · 
 · 
kathye45

can't seem to explain that to Partners ,but it seems we are pricing ourselves out of the market where we have more competition( in the city were most firms are), we can charge what we want in the more rural areas of the state where they don't want to work. I would really like to know what the average fee is for this area. ball park

Oct 8, 13 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

25% of the building budget for each phase.  so if it costs $100 to build a building, you charge $25 for schematic design.  then you stop schematic design and move on to design development, for which you charge another $25.  once that is complete, you stop design development and work on construction documents, for which you charge $25.  design fees for a $100 building are $75 at the end.  is that right?

i think it's more common for architects to estimate fees based on the time they put into it.  however, if i were to take a wild stab, i would say closer to 7% of the building cost for design fees, all in.  for a $100 building, you might get $7 if you're lucky.

Oct 8, 13 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

here is some stuff some people said a long time ago.

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/17279/fee-as-a-percentage-of-construction-cost

Oct 8, 13 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

It's not clear from your post whether they are planning on installment payments of 25% of the total negotiated fee, or are they expecting a total fee equal to 25% of the project budget.  If the later, they will only get it with a gun and mask.  You're doing good at 5%.

Oct 8, 13 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

The fee wouldn't be evenly divided through all phases

SD - 15

DD -20

CD - 45

CA - 20

Total would be roughly 10% depending on project type and service level 

Giant box's are a lot cheaper than super complicated labs. 25% of project construction cost is too much for anywhere

Oct 8, 13 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

100% fee, now you're talking.

25% fee, must be a name brand and probably a decorator.

7% fee, find another profession.

Oct 8, 13 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

http://www.schiffhardin.com/design-build/lecture-notes/architecture-544---spring-2011 

go to the march 2nd lecture. download and learn.

Oct 10, 13 9:16 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

good resource!

Oct 10, 13 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

@vado - Friedlander FTW :) I still go straight to notes from his class when dealing with contract documents

Oct 12, 13 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: