Archinect
anchor

Giving

Hello all

I know I don't have to tell you that there are a lot of people out there who are struggling through this economic storm. These are tough times for all of us.

As we reach the end of the year, we've been considering how to thank our clients, all of who have been absolutely wonderful to work with and very supportive of us. Cards, fancy boxes of chocolates, or other disposable, consumable gifts just don't seem appropriate at this time. Instead,we are going to take the money that we would have spent on gifts and cards and donate that money to an organization who are helping those in need. Solid Ground is our top contender right now.

Solid Ground is dedicated to achieving a just and caring community, free from poverty, prejudice and neglect. They develop and provide creative, comprehensive and effective responses to community's needs, offer quality human services in a manner that promotes dignity and advocate for public policies and private initiatives that give all people equal opportunities and resources. And they are a locally based [to Seattle that is] organization.

Giving money to support others is certainly not the only route that one can take. There are many other ways to help out without it breaking the bank. The Give List has a lot of ideas for giving non-cash related gifts.

Are you doing anything this year to help others who might be in need? If so, could you share?

Dec 10, 08 2:46 pm
vado retro

i bought some dude a gallon of gas today.

Dec 10, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This is a beautiful idea, e, and coincidentally I had this conversation today with two female architecture owners: what are you giving as client gifts this year? They are both giving s,all personal gifts like handwritten notes or items specific to the person, or face time: a trip to the symphony, for example.

My partner and I have done chocolate in the past, this year, we were considering something smaller. A donation would be an excellent idea, with a personal note to the clients to tell them about it.

Dec 10, 08 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
e

That's great to hear LB. And vado, I hope you're driving by if I ever run out of gas.

Dec 13, 08 11:23 am  · 
 · 
n_

I highly recommend looking into the Heifer International. Heifer is a nonprofit dedicated to addressing world hunger. They many have inexpensive options under $20 (i.e. flock of geese that produce 450 eggs yearly for a family). I've purchased a few people Heifer gifts for this holiday season.

Dec 13, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

also: i heard for the first time ever recently that i would be a jerk if i didn't give a $50 check for christmas to the maintenance person at my apartment buiding (who has actually been very helpful this year). is this true? should i also give one to the lady who runs the office there? [these are the only 2 people who work at my building]. i don't really want to spend all this money on people who are paid already by my high rent...

Dec 13, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'd definately give them something but I think that $50 is a little steep...

I usually give my trashperson and mailperson a $20 giftcard.

Dec 13, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

we're giving to a local foundation in honor of our clients.

Dec 13, 08 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

how do you draw the line on who to give a present for? i mean, i know the maintenance person in the apartment is standard... but the lady who sits in the cushy chair in the office? isn't she probably getting paid enough that my $40 would be kind of insulting? i assume she's making more than i make as an entry-level architect. i don't want to waste away my income here. should i give cash to the mail carrier i've never met? the girl at the grocery who always makes my checking out a fun time? the dude who operates the elevator at this office in in nyc i frequently visit, even though his job is totally unnecessary?

Dec 14, 08 1:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: