Archinect
anchor

Fabrication Classes

word!

Hi,

Is there any place in NYC where I can take some fabrication classes or get some experiance without going through academia?

Or what are the options?
- should I try to intern somewhere on the weekends? Are any of these shops willing to take someone in?

Advice please?

Thanks

Dec 10, 08 2:28 pm
Inertia

Your interest in fabrication might be of the digital to physical.
But this you might be interested in. Not exactly in NYC but possibly accessible for you. I don't think the environment is academic.
Design/Build School

Dec 10, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
binary

what are your questions ohh young one!

Dec 10, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
MONARK

Greetings word!

I am a Co-Director of LaN / Live Architecture Network.

At the moment we are planning for a January Digital Design / Fabrication seminar in NY and/or Chicago.

Take a look at our website... and let me know any specific questions you have.
I will post the event details here when they are available (shortly)!

Any input you can give us on your interests will help us to customize the program.

www.livearchitecture.net / [email protected]

Best,
Monika

[email protected]

Dec 11, 08 10:42 am  · 
 · 
binary

g-code

Dec 11, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
word!

:crizzler - I'm looking to gain some experiance in -programming tool pathes, the nuances of the cnc process, etc. I have some limited experiance in milling/ laser cutting (providing a proper model to a fabricator/ I understand some of the basic constraints)- but I'm looking for some hands on experiance. Learning by being a part of the process.

I think you need to have that experiance if you ever want to push the platform.

Inertia - When I say academic I mean - signing up for a program at columbia etc, I have a day job and can't commit to something like that, but thank you for the link.

Monark - I have come across your site many times before, interesting work very much in the area that interests me - For me a seminar is a start - will there be any more indepth studies or discussions? Or is it more of a lecture type environment?

Thanks everyone.

Dec 11, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
binary

if you learn some fabrication then look into industrial design/product design/exhibit design fields....... they care more about hands on experience/building/etc than the arch firms......

Dec 11, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
word!

Crizzler - I understand that architecture firms usually don't care too much about these things - they usually farm it out - the firm i work at being one of them.

I'm interested in it on a personal level - as far as arch firm's are concerned most really are not into this kind of thing...

Dec 11, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
binary

not saying that they farm it out....but i dont think firms really care if you have the experience.....so if your looking to use this 'experience' to add to theeee old resume', it wont mean much...

i went that route after college........

Dec 11, 08 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: