Archinect
anchor

your autocad quickness

binary

how good are you when you do monkey cd... in terms of speed..

not talking about doing xref's/notes/dims/etc.... but talking about 2d skills.

does anyone every get mad at you when they see you monkeycaddin it up and they dont like your style?

how are your mouse buttons setup and where are your icons if you use them.

my 5 button mouse is setup like this
small thumb button=redo
large thumb button=undo
left finger=select
right figure=enter
wheel=zoom and pan

then..... right figure is repeat last command

i know some folks have that short cut menu that pops up when they do a command.... then when you want to do a command it makes you click enter...wtf..... thats a waste of time IMO

then you have speed keys....... some would rather use icons...not sure why unless it's one of those rare commande you use...like quick leader or radius dimension

one of my 'issues' when working with others in a cad dwg..... is when they change the color of the layer thats not the original layer color.....

also when they have 1 layer for parts of various units..... i.e. layer 3/4 ply.... but say i have a showcase unit and a decking unit to build.... then i would make separtate layers per unit..like showcase-3-4-ply and decking-3-4-ply get it...

right now i'm shopping for another mouse for work since i just have a 3 button mouse there.. might have to order my intellimouse since thats what i use on my laptop.... plus it fits my hand

b

Dec 10, 08 12:12 am

Crizz it frustrates me to high hell in hand-basket when I go one someone else's computer to use Autocad and they have a million + 1 toolbars open with icons they don't use and wondering why there is a long pause beyond commands.

I was an ACAD users way before 14 when they had this pop up to press enter after you've already hit enter. But I know how to adjust everything but that.

I am a power user

Dec 10, 08 2:03 am  · 
 · 

i can't stand it when i go to use someone else's computer and they've changed how autocad works. i'm for all stations being set up the same so that everyone can work at everyone else's station.

layer colors - the same
line types - the same
hatches - the same
button setup - the same (except for lefties. though i'm a lefty and i use the mouse righty.)
etc.

Dec 10, 08 7:52 am  · 
 · 

oh, and i'm no longer quick. i used to be, but i seldom draw anymore, unless it's on someone else's computer to show them something. ; )

Dec 10, 08 7:53 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

as far as raw cad speed is concerned, i'm very fast. I use key commands 99% of the time. But when I'm given something to draw that isn't developed as a sketch and I have to figure it out then it can take an age.

BTW, to all you principals out there, you're ability to design is directly related to your ability to sketch clearly and communicate. If you can't do either then your CAD monkeys are doing all the design and production work for you. This sounds really obvious, but every boss i've had in this industry is guilty of doing it at least some of the time.

Dec 10, 08 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Right hand mouse, left hand keyboard. The only toolbars I use are for layers and styles because I find the pulldowns quicker than the commands. I do have a few changes I always make to my own system. I always set my own quick save file location, and I set my crosshair size to 100. My command line is set to color 160 because it's easier on my eyes than a white background. Keyboard entry priority... that's about it. I'm very fast, and but also accurate. ortho, osnap and otrack stay on about 90% of the time.

Dec 10, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i'm all about the keys, buck the buttons.

Dec 10, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i need to change my quick keys... where 's the file to do that agian..hahahaha.... c=circle in the office...need to change it to c=copy...

and i hate when someone is standing over me.... telling me to cad and gets pissed when i have no clue what they are referring to....wtf.... let me get out of my seat and you do it then...hahahah....

and we all have different ways to draw..... i tend to offset alot to get points/etc...

Dec 10, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i've never found cad "speed" per se to be very important. i see people slamming buttons, slamming their keyboards, working furiously, but in terms of actual production, they are no faster than anyone else. in my view, there are those that can draft and those that can't. the actual speed is not terribly important to me.

[the only time speed does matter is when you are expecting to see something on screen while talking through a problem with someone at the cad wheels, but this doesn't happen too often and is asking a lot of the cad tech.]

Dec 10, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

drawing speed is overrated. it takes time to think things through & design...and that should leave plenty of time to draw.

Dec 10, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

we don't have standard commands or button setups... only standardS (lwt, layers, etc.) so that as we bring others on or off the project, it's as seamless (regarding drafting) as possible.

i'm a hybrid i guess... half command, half right-click, half button. basically i'll button anything i can't type or right click quicker... which 'aint much. I have a friend that ONLY uses pulldowns ~ damn weird but to each their own.

backseat cad drivers are the worst...

my fav mouse of all time is the MX310. simple, light, cheap, accurate... i don't get off on those uber-high dpi gaming mice with buttons everywhere ~ i think they're distracting and absurdly overpriced.

fwiw: a little half-life2 deathmatch didn't hurt my eye-hand reflex and therefore CAD speed :)

Dec 10, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

Speed is using all default commands, and all keyboard shortcuts - the only things I use the button for are paintbrush and MOLC (Make Object Layer Current). Autocad, is at this point, basically transparent, it's a window to look through and and see what you want to see.

Dec 10, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

keyboard 30% commands, mouse the rest. I don't use CAD to design, and I do agree with the speed. That challenge comes in checking things with CAD - I hate that more than anything else

Dec 10, 08 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i just bought new 5 button mouse for the work place.... they might have to get me a faster computer now.....

i dont design in cad either.... i used it just for basic dimensioning and angle stuff..... but since i have this 'full time job' .. i cad it up everyday now

b

Dec 10, 08 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

cad shmad

Dec 10, 08 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

hey.... be nice..... i was anti-cad for the longest....

Dec 10, 08 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
backseat cad drivers are the worst...

lol. ain't that the truth.

i am fast with cad, but that is cuz i bin doing it for ages. designing in computer with autocad causes me no problems at all. designing in sketchbook or with physical model is also cool. whatever works or is handy is what i use. no need to get dogmatic about it. that's like worrying about whether you watch a tv show on your tv or on the computer screen, isn't it? does it really matter?

Dec 11, 08 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Yippee!

CAD standards are for squares.

Dec 12, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

the thing I love about CAD is it exposes the morons in your office, excluding the really old guys who you are allowed to be slowly dwindling in intelligence.

if you can't figure out how to CAD very quickly, or how to do standards very quickly, or how to adapt to someone else's CAD stuff - you really are not that intelligent.

i right click to menu, otherwise same.

learn default regardless of logic.

Dec 12, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

"...excluding the really old guys who you are allowed to be slowly dwindling in intelligence."

me laughs out loud!

standards are for things called "teams" that work on these other things called "projects".

Dec 12, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

cryzko,

It's the acad pgp file. I'm amazed at how few cadmonkeys know about this file. I doctor all my multi-key commands to single-key, at least the ones I use regularly. Like your example, "c" becomes copy and I modify circle to "cc", rectangle become "r", rotate "rr", etc.... no digging around for the 2nd key. If anyone else uses your work station, though, it's a bad idea. I am key commands all the way, you already have the keyboard memorized and don't even need to look at it. Icons are slow as molasses.

Dec 15, 08 1:58 am  · 
 · 
awii668

I had some ways to draw faster and more convenient:
first , type order by keyboard and type enter /redo by mouse;
second , type some shortcut order,
third , creat some program and order like below,only need type "RC" to rotate something with copy:

Dec 15, 08 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

AutoCAD -----What--- you mean to tell me people still use this dinosaur (LOL)

Dec 15, 08 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
dcozb

dfix...

you're not the first person I've heard this from.

What's the software to learn? Do tell! Please!

Dec 16, 08 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
awii668

difficultfix .......
"AutoCAD -----What--- you mean to tell me people still use this dinosaur (LOL)"
yeah, I m using autoCAD too, have a better software? what software is it? i like to learn a new better software . Ths

Dec 16, 08 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: