Archinect
anchor

Any Dalhousie Masters transfer students out there?

oswald

I'm starting my masters at Dal in May, but have to do an extra term of undergrad starting in January because I have a B.Env.D. from another school...not thrilled about this but not a huge deal. Still have to figure out where I'm gonna live.

Anyone else in this boat?

Oct 7, 13 11:32 am
Non Sequitur

I've had to do the same thing but for Waterloo University even though I had a bachelor in architecture. Some schools give out 1 to 3 semesters to non-domestic (ie, not their own undergraduates) students so that everyone is equal once entering their graduate programs.

I would say given that you do not have a undergraduate in architecture, you are lucky to only have to do one semester.

Oct 7, 13 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I spoke to one of the faculty about this just out of curiosity when I was there (graduated from their undergrad program in April '12). They only allow their own BEDS students and students from Waterloo's BAS program to enter straight into the summer M1 term - any other school undergraduate degrees needs to take 1 or 2 "qualifying" terms. Many other schools have the same policy, and it is always different from one to the other. I'm doing my M.Arch at another Canadian school that took Dal undergrads without qualifying. Many of my classmates who went to other schools had to do the Q though. Its case-by-case for school to school.

Oct 7, 13 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
cocococo

Ben, do know which schools tend to accept Dal grads without qualifying semesters? Or could you let me know which one accepted you? I'm going to be graduating next year and, as bad a deciding factor as it may be, finishing sooner rather than later is important to me. I've been in school for far too long.

Oct 9, 13 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

cocococo,

I felt the same way when I finished my undergrad and saw most of my fellow graduates go straight for their Masters (probably because the prospect of jobs was far fetched). I thought I was in school for way too long myself and honestly, going for your masters right out of undergrad is just literally extending your studio by another 2 or 3 years. Your going to plateau. I highly, highly recommend taking a year or two off, maybe landing an internship, take a breather from studio, take some quality time to work out the portfolio and essays, and once you are READY and willing, go back for your masters with a fresh perspective.

Oct 9, 13 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Cocococo:

I can only speak from my personal experiences in graduating from BEDS and exploring my options.

- Waterloo offered 1 qualifying semester (which is always 4B summer term of their undergrad program, similar to B5 at Dal)
- Syracuse offered their 3-year program but with a slew of courses to be dropped in the first 3 semesters because I had already completed similar coursework during undergrad
- Michigan recommended applying to the 2-year program, with a provision to complete 1or 2 additional courses in technical subjects on my own time (ie. summer before attendance), but it should be noted that I was rejected from the program (I just went through the application process)
- Carleton offered regular admittance to their 2-year program, where I eventually attended.

Although I never applied to them, people from my class were also admitted to the extended 3-year programs at UBC and UT, and I think Calgary as well (although I heard that last one through the grapevine).

Oct 13, 13 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: