Archinect
anchor

Any hope obama's 'green collar jobs' will impact the job market for Architects and LAs?

Sarch

Obama has mentioned energy efficiency (mostly having to do with light bulbs and cars)... but also infrastructure... weatherizing homes... and urban policies related to housing and livability of cities... (i.e. http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/newenergy)

Anyone rushing out to get LEED certified or thinking this will impact the dismal job market for Architects and Landscape Architects at ALL?

Dec 9, 08 1:05 pm
citizen

I'm studying for the LEED exam because it is about to be updated and get more difficult.

I don't base my career and professional decisions on the rhetoric emanating from politicians.

Dec 9, 08 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
poncedeleonel

At least there's a rhetoric now...

Dec 9, 08 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
outed

sarch -

no. i think, though, if you can get qualified as a dbe (disadvantaged business enterprise - no joke), get it because when this work comes out and the big firms all line up for the inside take, you're going to need to pull out that card to get anything...

Dec 9, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

for beboooo_17:

check out http://www.gbci.org/ for general information. the retirement of leed nc v. 2.2 is coming; just when it will be replaced is not yet announced, but the rumor is in early 2009 some time.

Dec 9, 08 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

had a meeting with a civil engineer who works for an infrastructure/industrial firm today. He was wondering what projects will be green-lit after jan 20th. Not sure how much architecture is really part of the Obama package - but we can always hope.

those green collar jobs will keep the men employed - so will there a similar pink collar plan in the works for our sisters?

Dec 9, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
outed

the architecture, at least as they're lining it all up here in georgia (and they are lining it all up) will be in schools and other 'necessary' public buildings. parks and rec work, for example, isn't on that list but regional libraries are. the bulk, though, will probably be going to roads, bridges, and other civil improvements (sewer, etc.). a lot of that has to do with local politics - the road lobby is furious at the DOT here for killing about 2B worth of projects this year alone. you can bet they're going to be pushing tons of pac money to the legislators this year to put that work up at the top of the list. aia.... not so much....

Dec 10, 08 9:36 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Here's to hoping the "infastructure" spending is for rail over roads. I would love to design rail stations since most of the great ones from the early 20th century have been destroyed or coverted.

Dec 10, 08 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: