Archinect
anchor

Can I take the ARE without having finished IDP and currently unemployed?

rcpqueen

I'm 4-6 months shy of finishing IDP, mostly CA and bidding. I can't finish IDP till I have another job, but am bracing for 6 mo -1yr unemployment in this economy. I want to make productive use of my time and increase my chances of getting hired. I think you can take ARE exams while still accruing IDP hours in some states, but am unsure if you have to have a job to do so.

Dec 6, 08 10:51 am
drums please, Fab?

i don't see why you would need to be employed to take the ARE. as long as you are approved to test or whatever they call it you should be able to sign up for the exams.

Dec 6, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Call your state architecture board and ask them (in very clear language) whether you can take the ARE in your state without having completed IDP.

Dec 6, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
binary

most states require you to have all your IDP before you even start testing...... in arizona and cali you can start your exams early but still need to finish IDP before the last parts of the exams.

Dec 6, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

You also want to check on your states requirements for testing. Some require you to file your application before testing, others after.

In Virginia you also need to have 3 letters of recommendation before you can take your exam. I do not know how states with early ARE exams work.

Dec 6, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
gresham

Some states allow you to test early, even if you are not a resident of this state. I live in Georgia, which to my knowledge does not yet allow testing before the completion of IDP. However, I know a number of people who live here in GA who have established records with Texas or Florida (two of the states that allow early testing before IDP is completed). Texas requires you to have your employer verify that you have worked six months, and then you are allowed to sit for the tests. In conjunction with an NCARB record, you could then attain reciprocity in your home state after completing your exams through TX or FL, and finishing off your IDP.

This link has more info on Texas' requirements:
http://www.tbae.state.tx.us/HowToRegister/AArchitects_RegByExam_ExamAfter6Mos.shtml

Dec 6, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
jsoc

From the NCARB website:

"There are currently 9 jurisdictions which allow you to take the ARE prior to the completion of IDP. They are: Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Kentucky, Puerto Rico, Texas, Vermont, and Wisconsin. The individual laws and requirements for eligibility to sit for the ARE prior to completion of IDP vary greatly. You must contact your Board of Architecture to understand their specific requirements."

Check the website for those states to see what the requirements are. I took the ARE ages ago in California. At the time I believe the requirement for testing was 1 year of experience with a B.Arch and no experience required for an M.Arch. A friend of mine initially applied in California, took the exams, and later applied in New York to get his license rather than facing the oral examination/interview in California. Worked for him.

Dec 6, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Needlebeam

One note of caution: If by chance you're planning to get licensed in Pennsylvania then don't test early (before completing IDP) through some other state. Pennsylvania's board will reject your license application if you do that.

I don't think there are any other states left that have a rule against licensing you if you tested early through some other state. Oregon had that rule until recently but they got rid of it.

Dec 6, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

In NY you can ...effective this past Oct. if you have atleast 9 units out of 12

"Architectural interns may begin taking the Architect Registration Examination (ARE) if an intern has received a degree (Bachelor of Architecture or Master of Architecture) from a National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) accredited program, OR has a combination of education and experience equaling a degree from an NAAB accredited program, typically totaling 9 of the 12 required units for licensure"

see link

Dec 8, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

i have 8.75 and I am currently unemployed!

Dec 8, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Actually, in PA too, I just checked the guidelines and it looks like there is a way you can start testing without having IDP completed - but it does require 3 years of experience. And as we all know, 3 years of experience does not exactly equal a completed IDP process.

Dec 8, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Also, you don't need to be currently employed if you are a resident of the state. For PA at least.

Dec 8, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
binary

arizona is 6 years of education or experience before you can test........

not sure if the experience has to be in the firms though......hmmmmm

Dec 8, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

under a licensed architect who signs your experience form, no IDP

Dec 9, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

The trend is moving to concurrent testing and you can soon expect all jurisdictions to allow concurrent testing or be faced with a mass-exodus of young professionals who do not want to wait 3+ years to begin AREs. In Michigan, the AIA is working to have a bill written next year and eventually passed into law to allow concurrent testing, as many of the surrounding states have already done.

Dec 10, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: