Archinect
anchor

Computer Modeling with Rhino and CATIA: Technology at Work at Gehry Partners: A Case Study

Antisthenes
Gehry Partners has found that the 3D modeling tool best suited to their kind of architecture for preliminary design and design development is the NURBS-based Rhino. The 3D modeling effort in Rhino begins in conjunction with the development of the physical massing models. In fact, very often, the starting point for a Rhino model is the point set digitized from the physical model, from which the curves of the building form are generated. From this 3D shell, 2D slices at the floor plan levels are generated in Rhino, and these are used as the basis for developing the space plans of the building. This allows the functional aspects of a project to be explored in conjunction with its formal aspects. Sophisticated Excel spreadsheets are used to study and develop the programmatic requirements of the building. The use of Rhino only sometimes extends to presentation; I did see a few instances of presentation visuals created in Rhino and touched up with Adobe Illustrator. But apart from this, Rhino is used primarily as a design exploration and development tool,
As the design gets more detailed and refined, it is moved from Rhino to CATIA using the IGES export format. Gehry Partners relies extensively on the use of CATIA, a highly sophisticated 3D computer modeling program originally created for use by the aerospace industry, to model accurately in complete detail the building shell as well as those parts of the building that are unusually shaped...

LINK

Dec 5, 08 11:04 am
difficultfix

"Gehry Partners does not use any of the applications that currently carry the "BIM" label, such as Autodesk Revit, ArchiCAD, or Bentley Architecture. What is critical to the firm is to use the technology that is needed to design and build their kind of architecture"

who needs it

Dec 6, 08 11:09 am  · 
 · 
dia

Well, this article was written in 2004 so I would be interested to see if the process had changed. When I was briefly involved with RMIT/SIAL and Gehry Partners in 2002, this was the methodology employed. Also, Reg Prentice, a top gentleman is a NZ'er.

Dec 7, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

I could imagine it has gotten better especially since version 4 allows you not to need to use acad or illustrator, and that they have their own tool based on Catias technology.

Dec 8, 08 11:19 am  · 
 · 
nappy

I think rhino coupled with t-splines plugin (that allows for tighter, more efficient surfaces AS well as parametric capabilities ala maya) is quite powerful if used along with CATIA.

Dec 10, 08 6:55 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

being able to precisely work with geometry for accurate reproduction, from what i know of maya(allot as i have used it long before and after autodesk swallowed it, same with revit) if you wanted to do anything like this in it you would not be happy and have lots less hair and gray too

Dec 10, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

antisthenes, rhino will never replace illustrator nor is it meant to. nor is it meant to layout books/portfolios as i have seen you suggest multiple times. thats like suggesting someone make renderings in microsoft paint just because it has a pencil tool.

Dec 11, 08 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

it can used for such it if you want, it is about thinking outside the box and using what is available so you don't have to switch between so many (expensive) tools.

paint is simple and also from a monopoly, Rhino is not it has more functionality and interoperability and is great as a alternative to any vector 2d program or page layout program, if you want to use it for such.

let me guess you have Adobe stock ;) ?

I never inteneded it to replace but to be used as an alternative to and or complement with other applications that have weaker curve tools, like illustrator as just one of many less capable programs in these area, the choice is yours because the ability exists.

Dec 11, 08 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

while Paint.Net may not do rendering either, I prefer Artrage and portable thinapped, it is allot better than Paint. I recommend it as a small more powerful alternative.
Packages that are light weight, not bloated and that truly offer value and innovate, giving you power where others may not is the going theme here.

Dec 11, 08 10:54 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

anti, for all of your anti-corporate rhetoric, you're a bit of a corporate shill for rhinoceros. what gives? there are plenty of other nurbs modellers our there.

Dec 11, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: