Archinect
anchor

disc. from Rhinoceros LinkedIn group, Gehry uses himself

Antisthenes
While so much has been made of Gehry's use of CATIA that they are now literally synonymous with the program, Gehry Digital Project, Gehry's office was one of the first true power users of Rhino. The "Horse's Head" in the DG Bank in Berlin, unlike ALL of Gehry's other projects, was designed by Gehry himself, on the computer, in Rhino (a process he has reported was not very satisfying and has not repeated). Normally Gehry designs in physical models, which are then digitized. In spite of its dedication to CATIA, the office continues to use Rhino.

What do you think of Frank Gehry's work, and what is its legacy, not just for architecture, but digital design in general? Gehry has said that he had wanted to make more sculptural buildings long before Vitra, but lacked the tools to realize that vision. That's why they went looking for CATIA, and later Rhino. Has Frank Gehry's work opened new possibilities for all designers, or is it an aesthetic dead end?

having taught many children and elderly how to design in Rhino with ease, this makes good sense to me.

LinkedIn

Dec 4, 08 1:32 pm
MArch n' unemployed

i would f* rhino

Dec 4, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

gehry has opened doors for much of what it is happening today.

as much as i am critical of gehry for other reasons, he definitely busted the door wide open for people to "feel free," when it came to form and possibilities of it. for that, he's the man...
this we have to give it to him and it is no small change.
i can't talk too much about what he is doing with software but, to me it seems like a natural development for his oeuvre.
there is no reason for a short post to get into details of his contribution even though it sort of came to a dead end, and saturated the field with that wild and crazy "stuff."
but if you really look at the work of majority of known architects today, you will see gehry's imprints in many of them starting mid to late 70's on... argue or not, there are a lot of second, and now, even third generation gehrys coming out.
i have seen it unfold physically in front of my eyes and this is a first person observation.

Dec 4, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
know

Thanks for posting this. I encourage everyone to read the original article from the Washington Post. And please if you are Rhino users, Please come join the LinkedIn Rhino Users Group.

http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/75313

Dec 4, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Where's the Post article? Orhan is right because Gehry changed the way drawings are made and then how buildings are created, bid out and constructed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/25/AR2008112502140.html

Dec 4, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

i've said it before...love him or hate him, he is the most influential architect of the pat 50 years.

Dec 4, 08 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

oh, but wait.
teaching children and elderly to use rhino? now that's what I want to hear about!

Dec 6, 08 12:36 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

its hard to be objective in our field, but i think most can be towards gehry,, whether one thinks he does "crazy forms" or whatever, he has changed the way we think about design, on a multitude of scales, now, we know if we really want something, we can do it (with alot of hard work ofcourse, and im ignoring budgets, lets not talk about this now), except for buildings flying, which is something i dont even think is relevant, neither do i want architects to achieve that, gehry has showed us that almost anythin can be done

Dec 6, 08 2:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: