Archinect
anchor

IDP 6 MONTH RULE

bentropy

Has anyone fully grasped this rule?

I graduated in December, started work in January, and now wish to start my NCARB record.

Here's what the IDP website says as an example of this new stupid rule:

Example 4: Missed Filing Deadline for Reporting Period of Six Months
If an intern attempts to file a training unit report on October 3 for a period covering January 15 through July 14, the report will not be accepted. The intern must recalculate and resubmit the report.

In this example, February 4 is the earliest possible start date for a training unit report submitted on October 3 and any units accumulated from January 15 through February 3 would be lost. If February 4 was used as the start date, then the reporting period would end on August 3, six months later, and the intern could file his or her report on October 3.

So, do I lose the first half of this year because I haven't documented it?

That sounds like major BS if you ask me.

Thanks y'all.

Dec 3, 08 1:09 pm
lletdownl

well... the 6 month rule doesnt go into effect until july 2009... thats my understanding... so get all your hours in before that and you should be fine... from then on you'll need to report every 6 months

Dec 3, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

the 6 month rule goes into effect in july 2009 for those who haven't already registered. for those who have, the 6 month rule does not apply until july 2010.

Dec 3, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

wrecking ball is correct. just make sure to start your council record asap, and then start regularly filing reports. you won't lose credit for this time you've already worked.

what they're trying to prevent is what a lot of us used to do: report 5 or 6 years of experience all at once just before we want to start testing.
They already implemented a huge "rush fee" for this (it costs about $500 extra if you want to be authorized to test in the same year that you establish your council record) but that wasn't that much of a deterrent: about 40% of all interns still report ALL of their experience after they finish IDP.

Their concern is that retroactively reporting so much experience is probably not as accurate - either in the information that the intern provides at that point or in the information that the employer who is signing off on it can recall. But then again, when I did this I used my old time sheets from every job I'd had and recorded units verbatim from those time sheets.

Anyway, just get your council record started, send in those units before 2010, and you'll be all set.

Dec 3, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

Thanks for clarifying! - I was concerned I'd have to do 2.5 years of reporting by December. Does anyone know how CIDP works with this too? [if previous experience is in another state?] I'm so bad at this beaurocrazy stuff.

Dec 3, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think this profession has enough barriers to entry, could someone put some more up, please?

Dec 3, 08 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
nsproductions

fuck the aia

Dec 4, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

aia? what does the aia have to do with this?

Dec 4, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

nothing

it is NCARB you may be upset with but it sure makes life more easy on everybody in the end. more responsible, less loopholes, less iffy work

Dec 4, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

now, if you want to tell me that the aia could do more to force mid-size firms or architects that hire interns, to provide proof that the interns on staff are given the opportunity to earn the hours they report, then you're on to something.

Dec 4, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

do lawyers have to do this crap? can't they just take the bar after finishing school?

Dec 15, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
T D

Lawyers aren't directly responsible for human life (except in a capital punishment case I suppose).

Can you honestly tell me that anyone straight out of architecture school is qualified to be a registered architect?

Dec 15, 08 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm realizing that NCARB thinks of the 6-month rule like the 5 second rule. If you drop something on the floor, it's still okay to eat if you pick it back up in less then 5 seconds. So with your work experience, if it sits around for more then 6 months, NCARB thinks that it has coodies.

Dec 15, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

not unlike their 5-year rolling clock for the ARE. i know it's in the best interest of everyone, including the intern, to report regularly to have as accurate an account of experience as possible, but it's a real shame to acquire perfectly valid experience, (or a pass on an exam,) and have it become illegitimate due to the passing of time.

at least they are rolling out their electronic reporting system at the same time, hopefully making it easier to stick by the 6-month rule.

yikes, was i just defending ncarb? i did not see that one coming...

Dec 19, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
jitter12

My understanding is that the implementation of this rule next year is predicated on the electronic reporting system being up and running. No electronic system, no 6 month rule. At least, that is how I understand it.

Dec 19, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: