Archinect
anchor

What are the best ARE resources?

In your opinion, what are the best resources out there for studying and prepping for the ARE 4.0?

I know there are the Kaplan books (which are about as expensive as taking all the tests once) and the AIA courses. What else do people suggest? And is there a way to find used copies?

Dec 2, 08 2:11 am
b3tadine[sutures]

use the old kaplan guides, you can get them from the areforum.org. use MEEB. use the internets. use anything and everything you can get your hands on. use archiflash cards. use http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=51965_0_42_0_C

Dec 2, 08 5:14 am  · 
 · 
http://www.areforum.org/forums/

is really good for reading about other people's experiences with the test, getting reading lists, and especially seeing various grpahic exam solutions.

Dec 2, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

whichever study guide(s) you use, you do NOT need the latest editions or even ones that were intended for the version of the ARE you're taking. I used some ALS (predecessor to Kaplan) guides that were 20 years old. they were published during the days of the written exam. it took a little more coordination and I had to read more supplemental material than I might have otherwise (areforum helped me figure out what to look at), but I was just fine. and looking at supplemental material is a good idea anyway. but things really haven't changed much in the past 20 years, other than the creation of LEED.

Dec 2, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

as far as MEEB goes, the complexity of the information it contains is much greater than the scope of knowledge required for the ARE. It was nice to have around as a reference, but it's not essential study material. I definitely wouldn't read it cover to cover.

Dec 2, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
lesro

My recommended first step is to establish activity on the ARE forum, if you haven't already. This will give you incredible insight to the examination process, as well as connect you with others who are currently or in the process of taking their ARE's. From there the best resources have been in my opinion Archiflash cards, and the Kaplan test books and test bank CD's. I have used these exclusively to start the initial study process, then supplemented materials such as MEEB (Mechanical and Electrical Equipment for Buildings), Ching's building construction illustrated, Graphics Standards, the IBC among others to get more depth. I agree that MEEB at first can be overwhelming to open, but is to be used as a reference guide to help clarify means, methods, terms, and concepts that are otherwise hard to cover 100% from Kaplan. In regard to the expense, I have not purchased any books other than supplimentary material (ie. graphics standards), since I was able to loan the Kaplan books and CD's from my local AIA office. The materials that I have purchase make great additions to my architectural library that I will continue to reference so no money lost. Good luck!

Dec 2, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

The only thing to look out for on areforum is that a number of the users seem to be quite alarmist and prone to playing the victim.

Dec 2, 08 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

MEEB is not great by any means, but i can attest to the fact that at least a dozen diagrams on my exam came from that book, and now that they have added the fill-in part to the exam, the book may get more useful.

Dec 2, 08 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
lesro

you definately have to filter your exposure to the forum, but there are a lot of helpful individuals that can give some great feedback, and recommendations. it can be easy to blame the system when you experience a failed exam or bad testing experience.

Dec 2, 08 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: