Archinect
anchor

Claiming Pervious parking to save area

designBandit

I have a project that will need lots of parking and as if all of it is counted as impervious surface, then it severely hinders what's left for the building. I'm thinking, is it possible, advisable, legal, etc, to submit a plan to the planning board indicating that the parking, or at least a portion thereof is pervious surface? Is that acceptable? Has anyone dealt with a planning board on such an issue?

thanks!

Nov 28, 08 5:35 pm
Synergy

It is going to be a local issue, so you'll really want to find out about the local building codes. Where are you located? Perhaps someone on here is in the same area and can let you know better. Some communities are adopting the use of and others are going through trial periods with various systems of permeable pavement and permeable parking, so you'll need to get more specific to find out your answer.

Nov 28, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I love the idea of perv' parking.

Nov 28, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

Perv parking!

its in Hillsborough, NJ . . .I don't see anything about it either way in the township codes....

thanks!

Nov 28, 08 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
spark

Pervious paving is starting to be accepted here in Indiana so I would anticipate that it is even more acceptable in other locations. It's use is dependent on the absorptive qualities of the soil below, amont of rain, etc.

I would suggest that you try to find a civil engineer or consultant that could help you substantiate its use to your planning authorities. You might also contact the companies that do the pervious paving as they may have some supportive information that you could use to inform the authorities.

We also have some projects here using dry wells and rain gardens in lieu of normal drainage structures or ponds.

Also, maybe think about a green roof or rainwater harvesting system.

Nov 28, 08 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

everything spark said - and then some. you need your civil engineer to do more than vouch for your use of pervious paving - they actually need to propose a design solution, ultimately. (maybe not before your approval, but...)

just letting the water run through the paving isn't enough, it has to be managed below the pavement, whether that means a certain depth of gravel or other. the area below the pavement (unless it's HIGHLY absorbtive already, and that can be documented) will need to be specifically designed to act as detention - slowing down the flow of water moving through it.

Nov 30, 08 8:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: