Archinect
anchor

Small skylight that fits in 16" framing

ArchitettoEOS

Fixed, to lit a couple of closet and that can fit in 16" framing for cathedral ceiling? Solatubes don't make sense, since we have a cathedral ceiling. Thanks.

Oct 2, 13 2:59 pm

But Solatubes always make sense. That's your best option.

Oct 2, 13 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Are you saying Solatubes don't work because the closet ceilings themselves are cathedral?  If so, why can't you drop the closet ceilings?

Oct 2, 13 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's just a big tube, so you could hang it like a pendant right?  maybe not ideal for a chandelier in the entry, but that should work for a closet?

or he's saying something to the effect that the close walls go up to 8', the closet ceiling is at 8', but the cathedral ceiling is at 16'.  so you would see the tube between 8' and 16'. 

Oct 2, 13 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

curtkram:  Yes, he might have a "plant shelf" over the closet area as you describe, but then he's going to have to do some kind of box-in up to the cathedral ceiling no matter what kind of skylight.

At some point, why not just put in a conventional electric light and be done with it?

Oct 2, 13 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

Another first time poster with a new topic. This one doesn't have the sense to use the 'net to search for skylights. Instead he's looking for free advice from pros ...

ARCHINECT should require a minimum of ten (10) posts before new users are allowed to start new topics.

Oct 2, 13 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

^Charming

Oct 2, 13 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

^ Not as charming as the one-post OP who starts a new topic asking architects for free advice instead of googling "skylights", and certainly not as charming as all the professionals busy falling over themselves to help out the cheap, lazy and/or stupid OP or you for carrying some grudge about a previous thread.

Oct 3, 13 11:35 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^ noblese oblige

Oct 3, 13 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

^ LOL 

Oct 3, 13 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i like the idea of closet skylights. this way i could have an easier time finding the cat.

Oct 3, 13 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i bet a cat could hide in a solatube.

Oct 3, 13 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I just remembered a funny conversation I had with a friend whose walk-in closet has a skylight.  She pulled down a sweater from the shelf, put it on, and noticed a crease she couldn't smooth out.  Of course, it wasn't a crease but a faded section.  Then she looked on the shelf of folded sweaters and found all of them to have faded stripes.  Gaaah!

I don't remember Lou Kahn ever talking about that issue in all the blahblahblah about natural light...

Oct 3, 13 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Pretty much every roof leak I've ever seen was at a skylight. Also saw one once that nearly started a fire. Construction site, plastic over skylight captured puddle of rain water. Puddle in plastic made lens that focused sunlight like a magnifying glass. The beam tracked over a cardboard box of PVC fittings, melting them and shouldering the box. If not for a Sunday afternoon site visit ...

Oct 3, 13 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: