Archinect
anchor

Thanks Giving, A Native American View

4arch

I would agree with puddles that as American holidays go, Thanksgiving *is* refreshingly humble and relatively devoid of commercialization.

Black Friday is a different story - but black Friday is *NOT* Thanksgiving. I suppose one might argue that black Friday is an outgrowth of Thanksgiving being on a Thursday, but if Thanksgiving didn't exist or took place a different time of year, I'm sure the last weekend in November would still be the major kickoff day for Christmas shopping.

Dec 1, 08 10:16 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

Since when is Black Friday an American holiday?

Dec 1, 08 10:19 am  · 
 · 
4arch

who said it was? I'm just saying don't lump it in with Thanksgiving just because they're back to back.

Dec 1, 08 10:30 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

well, granted it's been a few years since i've been in the usa for a thanksgiving celebration...but at that time i saw very few thanksgiving decorations or other items available for sale. considering that other "american" holidays (christmas, halloween, 4th of july, st patrick's day, etc.) have become bonanzas of indulgence in cheap plastic trinkets & competitive machismo as neighbors attempt to "one up" each other...thanksgiving is remarkably refreshing.

on second thought, maybe i should tap into the american vein of vile consumption by producing turkey colored t-shirts with popular phrases such as "indians suck" or "fuck squanto". if that idea makes enough money, then i'll concede that this thread isn't pointless after all.

Dec 1, 08 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

don't forget about the Black 26th ;)

Black Friday is there because of thanksgiving for sure and the commercial shopping day afterwards.

Dec 1, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 

man, i had been avoiding this thread, but now i'm glad i clicked in! i might have missed farwest's pronouncement: I prefer clarity in intellectual argument.

...with which i agree. replace 'clarity' with 'comprehensibility' and i'm still with it. i guess that makes me sloth-like as well.

Dec 1, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

thanksgiving is not commercialized because there is no gift giving attached to it (other than the totally free giving-of-thanks), and it is close to christmas, the real target of businesses and the saviour of their balance sheet. the friday after tg was a very convenient day to get everyone to quickly forget the non-moneymaking thanksgiving and continue spending money (many people are home that day). as far as consumerism goes, thanksgiving is an inconvenient bump in the road to the big bash, which is why it's barely mentioned in stores and radio stations begin playing christmas songs at the beginning of november, practically.

so, no, black friday has nothing to do with tg, it's just the grand guignol of the xmas consumerist madness (see wal-mart trampling).

Dec 1, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

and as far as special days commemorating what are basically large slaughters: the history of the human race is essentially one big slaughter.

you think the plains indians sat around knitting? they were fierce warriors and not just against the european invaders. is it possible that their oral history held certain battles against and conquests of other rival tribes (read slaughter) as key events in the tribe's memory?

is it possible that the mutus in the jungle of bagwa maybe celebrate the day they conquered and killed most of the hated kabuni tribe?

and please, please, before the invectives flood in: i understand the tragedy of what was done to native americans, and am in no way condoning it. i'm just pointing out that we are not the only culture to hold up what are essentially brutal and heinous acts as very important events in the collective memory of the society in question.

Dec 1, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

and that's not what thanksgiving day is commemorating anyway.

Dec 1, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

Em-love, to say this holiday is NOT commercialized is so say something wrong. All of our national holidays are commercialized to some extent. I was arguing about degree.

As for YOU, dear puddles - please make that shirt!

Dec 1, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Awwww Emilio, bringing up that Native Americans weren't always a peace-loving people. I heart you buddy.

Farwest1, SW, noctilucent - this inquiring mind also wants to know how the system should take upon itself the guilt, honestly.

Dec 1, 08 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
archroma

I had never even heard of Black Friday until I grew up and moved out on my own. But then, shopping isn't something that could get me out of bed before 5 a.m. under any circumstance.

For the record, I am with puddles. I vote Thanksgiving.

Dec 2, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

"governments could use some tax money to steer that flow towards providing special opportunities (again, the matter is one of economy and not merely monetary) in recognition, first, of the genealogical series of wrongs that has been inflicted on the concerned groups as well as in recognition of the dramatic economic disproportion."

that statement supposes that these "special opportunities" would then fix 400 years of wrong actions imposed on a people, which they probably would not, because nothing really could.

"only the act of stating a position."

in case you weren't informed, that's what forums and threads are basically about...you know, words...maybe you could state your position without so much pseudo-intellectual pomposity...but there you are.

"a group of dilettante amateurs such as ourselves"

speak for yourself, there, little buddy.

Dec 3, 08 11:11 am  · 
 · 

excellent characterization, nocti, if by 'intellectually scavenging' you mean that i choose to use a derivative shared language learned from other people so that i can effectively communicate rather than obfuscate. i plead guilty!

i keep recycling these same letters and previously invented words over and over. i just can't help it.

--

back to thanksgiving: as far as i know (i wasn't there), the celebration was invented as a way to be thankful for survival - certainly a universal circumstance that deserves to be recognized.

rather than associate it with a specific conflict (which was actually in the background of the first thanksgiving, not its primary narrative), therefore making certain people always the aggressors (when, in fact, they had their own agressors prior) and others always the victims - thereby damning them to victimhood in perpetuity - it seems it would be more useful for everyone to coopt the thanks-giving to their own purposes and circumstances.

my native american ancestors didn't feel they were owed - that's a more contemporary conceit. in the '10s/'20s, they were pragmatists and made the very conscious decision to allow themselves to be absorbed into the society brought here by the europeans.

if we all have to somehow compensate all who we've wronged, where would be the end to the compensation? wouldn't a whole lot of resources simply change hands in a great big circle? compensation never heals the spiritual damage inflicted. any attempts could conceivably continue ad absurdum, a false palliative providing no actual relief.

i don't discount any of the horrible things that happened throughout history, i just think that they aren't fixable. we've got to make things better from now forward and leave the past alone.

Dec 3, 08 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Noctilucent,

Do you take pride in the fact that you use more "ten-cent words" in a typical paragraph than Thomas Pynchon uses in an entire chapter of Gravity's Rainbow?

Dec 3, 08 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

On an side note, I thought this thread was going to be another far-left wing guilt fest which is why i've avoided it, now I see it is actually quite funny. Thanks for the laughs y'all!

Dec 3, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just ordered an aztec skull rack off of ebay. free shipping!!!

Dec 3, 08 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

That'll look great hung next to the stockings...

Dec 3, 08 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Emilio "that statement supposes that these "special opportunities" would then fix 400 years of wrong actions imposed on a people, which they probably would not, because nothing really could."

no, my statement didn't suppose that; no detonations or connotations that could make you assume that. you were already prone to assume that, moronically. (see umberto eco for the concept of the moronic argument with reference to St Anslem's classical ontological argument (the moronity of which, in my opinion, was to be doubled by St. Aquinas in his very first criticism of the St Ansel argument), that the statement supposes that. without delving into tautological statements regarding history and retraction thereof, suffice to say that i mentioned payback a few times. payback, which is not an equivalent substitution of what once was ( though judging by the fact that you have not really read what i really wrote, i then doubt you have the readerly sensitivity to discriminate) is a concept also used by the post-nazi germany. its also quite insidious that u use pathos to argue against actively recognizing that very pathos instead of which you and those other carbon copies are content with a nihilistic passive soap-opera framing. a melodramatic predictable series of programmed tics, left or right of divide. And don't call me your buddy, you sleazoid (contextually).

a question that is of actual substance, in my opinion, that has been voiced by another two individuals ...by **** melt and by stephen the ever-trailing beta-dingo warden (i believe we all have our animalistic avatars ... mine is amphibianesque rather than mammal) and yet again, however indirectly, by Antisthenes before the sordid rabid party turned on her/him, is this: when do we start/stop accounting for accountability? when are we no longer accountable for our/our foreparents' actions? both have explicitly answered that we are not accountable for the past, but rather for the present and the future. this is exactly what shows them to be ahistorical insular subjectivities. how fortunate then, that for them, in their removed altitudinous heights of aborted causes and prodigal effects, their past is not implicated in their present because, in the position of the victimized, the present will always be basso continuo of the past. now, for those who have not ascended , the question is: how subterranean does this deep hum have to be for it not to be heard at all?

Apurimac;
Do you serve a purpose other than being an incidental coprographical blot of a mindlessly text-defecating "free will"?

contrapuntally, I can contemplate the question of substance further in inspecting the basso continuo happenings of the bidirectional static load piling test. Dilettante amateurs the lot of us indeed.

Dec 4, 08 4:33 am  · 
 · 

what aborted causes and prodigal effects? do you have any idea what i do or don't do?

of course the past lives in the present - and not just for the victimized, obviously. but still the present is what we can address effectively. restitution for long-past events is not helpful.
awareness of the past and a commitment to a humane future is an important aspect of dealing with the present circumstances of all people, but the resulting acts should always be about moving forward.

i am amazed that such an otherwise aggressively self-righteous and eternally-correct writer can also feel it's perfectly ok to twist and manipulate my name without compunction.

Dec 4, 08 7:09 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My ancestors were slave owners. But my direct line ancestor, the one whose wealth would have eventually come down to me through inheritance, drank away his fortune and lost everything.

Can I use a spiritual medium to contact this long-dead ancestor and get him into a supernatural Al-Anon program? Because then I could practice architecture with no concern for income!

Dec 4, 08 8:49 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

LiBelle - re: Pantone "Mimomsa for 2009" - skirting dangerous territry, m'dear! Tempt ye not your ancestral name!

Dec 4, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hahahahahaha caught me!

And yeah, I've started the workday - as an employee - with champagne before. I admit it. Just takes the edge off the day...

Dec 4, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

LOL! "coprographical", that's one i've never been called before

Dec 4, 08 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

There's more obfuscation, narrative drift, general haziness, pomposity, insult, Slavoj-Zizek-wannabe-ism, and confusion in a single post by Noctilucent than in the whole of Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow.

And at least Pynchon knew he was writing fiction, had a sense of humor and included drinking songs in his magnum opus.

Dec 4, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

little angry there, little buddy?

i actually agree with your statement about taking some (much) of the money now spent on the military and applying it to (many) other better things.

but you're real slippery, aren't you? you stand by your terms "payback" and "special opportunities" but are very nebulous in your definitions. if someone says "it's money" you say "no, it's economics" (wow, really?). if someone asks "what will this payback do?" you attack with eco and aquinas and angry "slezoid" and such (as far as that last one and on "moronic", go fuck yourself, contextually).

but i am not in any way "misreading" your statement about "special opportunities" (and you haven't defined what you mean by those, or payback, anyway) when i point out a possible barren outcome for them. indeed, i could historically point out examples of a directly opposite outcome to that intended, of the worsening of a situation, that have happened when "governments use tax money to try to steer that flow" towards whatever they think they are steering it towards. there are readings on reparations that point both the positive and negative outcomes of these "special opportunities".

but i really don't care to bandy words with you, since i suspect you are too enamored with the sing-song of your writing and the name-dropping (yea, i read eco too, you pompous blowhard) of your references to really defend your points with any clarity.

Dec 4, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

or maybe i suspect that you are just a character named "noctilucent" which you perform on this forum, just as i might be a character named "emilio", and that all of this is just done for fun anyway.

Dec 4, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

and having fun has nothing to do with being dilettante amateurs...

Dec 4, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Emilio,

I share your hunch about our resident rabblerouser: more a self-styled web-performance artist than anything else.

Dec 4, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

farwest1 as in "W.A.S.T.E. stands for "WE AWAIT SILENT TRISTERO'S EMPIRE." This phrase is from a novel by Thomas Pynchon, called "The Crying Of Lot 49"" ?

waste.sf.net

Dec 4, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

I say, already! Emilio and Noctilucent - will neither of you gentlepersons initiate the challenge to a duel! If not, then I shall initiate it and forthright make one of ye said championnnnnn!

Gentlepersons - at the ready!

Noctilucent - you shall be challenger with a two hefty phone books!
Emilio - you shall be challenger with Mentos™ and one swig of soda!

COMMENCE!

Dec 4, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
archroma

I love the high percentage of intelligent posters on archinect.

Even if it means scrolling through the masturbation by verbiage.

I am just posting so I can uncheck the box.

Dec 4, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

My money's on Emilio and the Mentos (not a bad name for a garage band, by the way).

Dec 4, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

thanks, citizen, but i'd rather try one of those cool old pistols and the white gloves....

ah, but words will have to serve for now.

Here's a playlet about two other characters:

The drawing room of a country house. Two people: one is sitting at a desk, several books in front of him, the other in an easy chair. We join them in mid-argument.

NOCTIFEROUS: You are just assuming that, moronically. I am reminded of Umberto Eco's concept of the moronic argument with reference to St Anselm's classical ontological argument.
ELIGIO: Aw, c'mon, buddy.
NOCTIFEROUS: Don't call me buddy, you slezoid!
ELIGIO: If you want to say that I'm committing a logical fallacy why not just say that instead of pretensiously quoting a line from Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum"? And you left out the best part of that discussion on the moronic argument, by the way. I could respond thusly, and I quote:
"And what if you were a moron?"
"I'd be in excellent, venerable company."
"You're right. And perhaps, in a logical system different from ours, our moronism is wisdom. The whole history of logic consists of attempts to define an acceptable notion of moronism. A task too immense. Every great thinker is someone else's moron."
"Thought as the coherent expression of moronism."
"Profound....."

So ask not for whom the bell tolls and all that. I read that in the original Italian first, by the way, a more correct reading, but then I doubt you have the readerly sensitivity to discriminate. Oh, that's right, you don't read Italian, I forgot....tsk, tsk.
NOCTIFEROUS: Oh shut up, you mindless coprographical blot!
ELIGIO: Toodle-oo.

Eligio gets up and leaves the room stage left, snickering and giggling to himself. Noctiferous stares at the door where Eligio has just exited in confusion and irritation, having been deprived the opportunity of another remark. He sits sullenly for a while, then opens a copy of "The Name of the Rose" to the section where Adso loses his virginity, and, unzipping his pants, begins masturbating.

Curtain

Dec 4, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Bravo!

Starring Leonardo Dicaprio (Eligio) and Pauly Shore (Noctiferous), it wins six Tony awards and runs for 8 years.

Dec 4, 08 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I'd buy a ticket to see that preformance.

Dec 4, 08 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Emilio, I'd like to toss a red rose on your stage.

Dec 4, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

whatever that LiBellious one does, I do.

*throws self onto stage*

Dec 4, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Bravo!

The mark of true wit is satire Emilio, and I have to admit you have a penchant for it.

Dec 4, 08 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

A rose from Liberty Bell.....what an honor.
Eligio takes a bow, picks up the rose, places it to his nose and breaths in deeply, then walks off the stage, smiling.

Dec 4, 08 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

and thanks for the other glowing reviews....I don't know what to say! I hope to take it to Broadway in the spring....

Dec 4, 08 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

peridot, I thought about saying I wanted to throw panties on the stage, but that felt more rock concert than performance art, so I switched to rose. With your screen name, though, I think panties might be in order. Shimmery yellow-green panties.

Dec 4, 08 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio
Eligio returns to the stage and picks up the vivid green, with just a slight hint of gold, britches from the stage and runs off in slight embarrassment.

"I thought about saying I wanted to throw panties on the stage"
wow...ok, i'm getting all verklempt, talk amongst yourselves...

Dec 4, 08 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Panties thrown on stage? Talk about your thanksgiving!

Dec 4, 08 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Just make sure they don't have smallpox.

Dec 4, 08 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LiG brings it full circle!! Brilliant!!

Dec 4, 08 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

krapp's last crap?

Dec 4, 08 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

Well Liberty, if that is the case, Emilio just took a long deep sniff of poxed panties while on stage.

If that isn't a David Lynch film I don't know what is.

Dec 5, 08 9:35 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

this thread sucks

Nov 26, 09 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

don't you mean Columbus Day a Native American view?

Nov 26, 09 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: