Archinect
anchor

AIA Doc B214-2007 LEED

Mystykaljello

Has anyone used this document? Was it successful or did it feel like it locked you into an agreement that you wish that you had not been in? What happens if your project does not attain a certain level of certification-- does that open one up to liability?

Nov 25, 08 5:07 pm
Synergy

Mystkaljello,

Can you post a link to this document or describe it any further? Obviously I haven't used it, but I'm curious to know it's contents.

Nov 26, 08 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Mystykaljello

From Constructionforms.net:

Product Details:

B214 establishes the duties and responsibilities of the architect when the owner seeks certification from the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®). Among other things, the services include conducting a pre-design workshop where the LEED rating system will be reviewed and LEED points shall be targeted, preparing a LEED Certification Plan, monitoring the LEED Certification process, providing LEED specifications for inclusion in the Contract Documents and preparing a LEED Certification Report detailing the LEED rating the project achieved. B204 may be used in two ways: (1) incorporated into the owner-architect agreement as the architect's sole scope of services or in conjunction with other scope of services documents, or (2) attached to G606-2000, Amendment to the Professional Services Agreement, to create a modification to an existing owner-architect agreement. B204 is a scope of services document only and may not be used as a stand alone owner-architect agreement.

Nov 26, 08 10:55 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

There have been several webinares and articles in the various AIA newsletters over the past few years about liability risks associated with 'sustainable design' language in contracts. I haven't used the b214 yet and don't know if they've made it bullet proof.

here's what I remember of the several typical risks-
* what happens if you don't achieve the prescribed performance levels
* differences in code versus certification, ie when LEED-Silver becomes law.
* value engineering impact on performance - who's responsible
* integrated design is a whole 'nother beast with it's own set of risks

and there are more.

a link from a google search:

Nov 26, 08 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Mystykaljello

Thanks for the article treekiller. I am going to search around for some of those articles you mentioned.

Nov 26, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: