Archinect
anchor

hockey architects?

treekiller

[no this isn't a political thread]

who has designed good hockey arenas? (what is the best recent hockey rink?)

who are the engineering players for ice rinks?

Nov 24, 08 1:16 pm
Benoit

HOK sport out of kansas city pretty much has a monopoly on it. Why are you inquiring?

I think one of the best rinks ever made was yale's by eero saarinen... but its old.

Nov 24, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I did prelim design on a community hockey rink a few years ago - engineers are pretty much the same, but you'll need an ice rink consultant. You should visit a local arena and get a sense of the equipment you'll need to run the thing (it's like a big air-conditioner).

do you have any specific questions?

Nov 24, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

well, we have a direct line to eero's office, but we're still deciding the go/no-go on the rfp. there is a requirement that the prime be from the state, so we can reel in HOK if we want to.

Nov 24, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

when are we going to get a 3-way hockey rink that allows three teams to play at once?

Nov 24, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Burdick

ellerbe becket have done a few that are ok....

http://www.ellerbebecket.com/

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles15499.jpg

Nov 24, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
citizen
Nov 24, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Sorry... thought it said Hockney architects.

Nov 24, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Check the specs for hockey arenas from the Olympic commitee...

Nov 25, 08 5:28 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
ReinforceYourPlexiglas

and provide more first aid stations and beer concessions!

Nov 25, 08 9:14 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Construction is underway on the new Penguins arena in Pittsburgh - supposed to be the first LEED certified arena in the NHL.

HOK was involved.

Nov 25, 08 10:04 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

HOK did the prudential center in joisey, where the devils play.

Link.

Nov 25, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

When I was a kid I played at disney ice in anaheim. I remember loving the place...and only recently, as an architect did I realize that was a frank gehry designed building. one of his early works I assume, pretty subtle formal touch and a good handling of material.

Im not sure if anyone mentioned it...but there's saarinen's yale rink. I love it's construction method and the way it manifests itself on the underside of the roof.

also Vaillant arena in Davos is pretty cool on the inside.

For me, as a hockey player and architect, a rink is my holy grail.

Nov 26, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: