Archinect
anchor

Entering the Brave New World

Antisthenes
PDF

I just got out of a AIA committee meeting and this paper was given out about contracting for BIM, thought I would pass it on.

Nov 20, 08 4:12 pm
bravo_on_trace

oh man... i like technology, but the documents that go along with it are surprisingly unexciting. and what's with all the acronymns!?

thanks for passing it along though. :)

Nov 24, 08 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Thanks for posting this. We've been discussing some of these issues for awhile now in my office. I didn't read the entirety of it yet, but I did look over some of the sections that jumped out at me.

It seems like the strongest push for BIM modeling is coming from contractors and fabricators, which immediately causes me to raise an eyebrow. I am very concerned about the issues of model transfer and shifting of work as well as responsibility. Often I've heard contractors espouse the virtues of working in BIM models and front loading the coordination work the very beginning of process, which can be more cost effective and efficient, from a broad whole project perspective. However the same contractors seem to ignore the implicate changes in responsibilities in terms of expecting AE's to pick up the slack and do work that was traditionally done by the contractor and fabricators. If we, as AE's are to pick up these additional responsibilities, we should be looking for proper compensation.

Nov 26, 08 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

On further inspection, this document was composed by two lawyers, working for a contractor. It seems to really downplay the potential threats BIM represents to the market share, autonomy, legal safety and financial security of the A/E profession.

Is anyone out there using BIM in the way it is presented by contractors at all these lunch and learns they are putting on everywhere? I've got no problem with Revit as a nice 3d drafting tool, if you feel it helps you design better or faster, but if we get to the point of handing over the completed model to the contractor and/or accepting the conflict coordination efforts usually done by the contractor, this will get very ugly for our professions. Anybody out there in the trenches actually handed over the BIM model yet, or worse, been sued over a conflict not detected in the BIM model?

Dec 9, 08 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I tried to read it, but my eyes started bleeding.

Nonetheless, thank you for posting, Anti. This is one of the real values of an online professional community.

Dec 9, 08 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: