Archinect
anchor

Code Books in the Office

estyle

Okay, so my office is about 40 people working on projects in a couple of states with different codes.

The code books keep disappearing.

ANSI 117.1 is just gone.

IBC 2006 just took a walk.

Replacing them seems impossible--no one will take charge. I finally bought my own copy of the ANSI 117.1. I have no idea what the other people who need these codes are doing. Apparently, it is not to code.

Enough rant.

How do other offices deal with code books?

(Snarking expected but helpful ideas really welcome.)

Nov 19, 08 9:47 am
vado retro

can i borrow it?

Nov 19, 08 9:48 am  · 
 · 
n_

We had a check-in, check-out system with a 'librarian.' For the most part, it worked.

Nov 19, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
mleitner

Do you remember those keychains, the ones that beep when you whistle?
They should make those for code binders.

Nov 19, 08 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
estyle

I like the idea of beeping tracking devices. . .

Nov 19, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

Generally when someone needs a code book they yell out to see who has it and then start blaming someone else for losing it. Later on they quietly find it under a pile of crap on their own desk or much less frequently on the shelf its supposed to be on.

Nov 19, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
archie

We buy them electronically where ever possible, and keep them on the server. Easier to search too. Many states have codes on line too.

Nov 19, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

what "reflexive space" said. or just ask the guy that appears to know them all.

Nov 19, 08 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

why isn't this stuff all online now?

Nov 19, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Code Books....who needs a fricking Code Book....all da do is mess up Architecture!

Nov 19, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

Books and equipment tend to stay put if people are buying their own.

Nov 19, 08 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
AAKWEKS

werd Archie- searching a pdf is so convenient! i use the NYC pre-2008 version almost weekly! if people keep stealing books start bitchin wheres the f--in code books!

Nov 21, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

At my office, we used the library system. All the code books were kept in locked cabinets until you needed them, then the librarian would open the cabinet for you, give you the right book, point you to the photocopier in the corner and watch you hawkishly until you finished with it. Seemed to work well enough, unless you needed to look up several different codes in one day, in different trips.

Nov 22, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ching and graphics standards...... and just make 5' circles everywhere

Nov 22, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

pdf on the server is the only way to go. i started at a firm that had everything on the server and left for a firm that did not. for months i was absolutely lost. couldn't find anything. hardcopies seem so anachronistic to me now.

Nov 22, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

we keep them arbitrarily distributed between a few designated shelves, and random coworkers desks. Personally, I tend to by my own copies whenever possible, and then make sure to mark my name on them in quite large ink and watch them like f'ing psychopath....people can borrow them, but I make sure they come home before too long.

Atleast for the work I do, I find that the code books do not change all that much from issuance to issuance, so a lot of times, if you pay attention to what might have actually changed in the latest revision, you might be able to get by with using the previous version, or whatever is handy. I've also noticed a lot of reviewers aren't up to date with the latest code revisions anyways, so they don't always know what is going on if you latest and greatest anyways.

Nov 23, 08 12:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: