Archinect
anchor

Most affordable residential metal windows for a modern design

swegin

Hello all-

I am moonlighting and designing a modern home in salt lake city utah and was wondering what is the most affordable residential metal windows for a modern design?  My budget is somewhat limited so I want to try and find something that is affordable yet still provides a thermal break.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 25, 13 1:55 pm
gruen
What kind of metal? Steel or aluminum? Storefront or residential windows?
Sep 25, 13 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
swegin

I don't really have a preference to whether they are steel or aluminum. Of course aluminum would be great due to the low maintenance if I got an anodized finish, but if steel is a lot cheaper than I would probably go with steel.  

As for storefront or residential, I am open to whatever.....I have just heard horror stories of quality control with stick built storefront systems in a residential setting.

Sep 25, 13 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Aluminum, thermally broken, nail-on. Steel will be very expensive and probably won't meet energy code. A commercial aluminum storefront will also be expensive.

Try something like this: http://www.milgard.com/professionals/architectural-library/aluminum-thermally-improved.asp

Sep 25, 13 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Steel is mad expensive and no thermal break.

If you want mod and cheap then it is storefront. Install quality is on the contractor.
Sep 25, 13 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
swegin

Thanks gwharton and gruen.....

I am thinking that we might try and use storefront the one concern is the warranty, any ideas on any commercial storefront companies that will warranty a residential project?

Sep 26, 13 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Call the rep.
Sep 26, 13 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: