Archinect
anchor

how much I can learn myself?

phase123

most of the time I'm spending at my current company is digital modeling and it has been two years. I don't know much of the technical side of building and concerned about my tech development, so I talked to managers, then I was given a tiny project which I'm supposed to only work on one to two days a week, obviously I'm spending the rest of my time working on digital models as usual.

I do feel I'm learning more from the tiny project than big projects or digital modeling. and I do read books, volunteer at local humanity sites trying to learn myself, but my question is is it enough just learning by myself? feels most people r learning from their job.

I'd thought about changing job, I'm afraid I'll end up in the same situation in the new job (since I still don't know much on the tech side), the market is bad but I can keep on looking... any opinions appreciated.

Nov 12, 08 10:18 am
el jeffe

2 year stretches at jobs is pretty typical for interns. if you can locate a job that satisfies your needs for experience, responsibility and exposure, then go for it.
otoh, in this economy, if your current employment seems safe and the office is pulling in work, you may not want to put yourself at the bottom of a new totem pole.

Nov 12, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

I would say as long as you have people around to ask questions who are knowledgeable that you will learn.

Nov 12, 08 11:16 am  · 
 · 
outthere

Stay where you are, I know you want to learn and maybe move on but the economy really does suck right now.. If they see that your looking, calling in sick for interviews they just might let you go before you find another firm... well i guess the economic situation all depends on where you live but its better to be less selfish now than in a couple of months from now when the economy get a little better

just my opinion

Nov 13, 08 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
anti

"You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a fuckinn' education you coulda' got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library."

sorry couldn't resist...

Nov 14, 08 11:06 am  · 
 · 
position

I was in that same position, and regret wasting another 6 months before I decided to quit. In my opinion, you're missing out and not learning near what you could be in job with more balanced responsibilities.

If digital modeling, which can get extremely tedious, is not what you want to do 75% of the time, then find a new job and quit your old one.

Nov 19, 08 9:24 am  · 
 · 
phase123

hi, Position. I had thought about changing job seriously for a while. but I really don't have much technical capability although I've worked two years. I don't know how other medium and big firms operate , I'm afraid I'll ending up same situation, like other people said, "the bottom of the totem people".

say if the new employer is interested in me based on my portfolio (major digital modeling) and current tech level, don't you think they want me still do digital modeling because it's most productive of me?

I'm so sad that I'm in such a situation now, worked 2 yrs but still not knowing better than a new grad.

Nov 19, 08 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
position

Phase, two years isn't really a long time in the big scheme of things. Sometimes it takes the experience of gaining no valuable experience to make you really pay attention in the future and, in that sense, it wasn't a waste.

Most jobs consist of varying levels of menial, repeated tasks, that's just the nature of life, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

You can't worry about starting at the 'bottom'. In job interviews, emphasis skills & aptitudes OTHER than 3d modeling such as quickness, efficiency, spatial-understanding, ability to learn quickly and self-teach, etc. If asked, be honest about your past - but confident, not apologetic.

Maybe work on LEED certification, or something that would give you a slight edge over a new grad. The key is finding a firm where you can get technical experience.

Nov 19, 08 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat

phase123, I'd been in your situation.
I wasted 2 years after graduation working in the most shitty working situation imaginable. I didn't learn anything regarding my profession but then I changed a job and I am happy now since I know I'm really learning a lot and can actually express myself. Just try, don't be passive. Everyone has to learn a lot of things while working. Is it necessary to spend time on doing something you don't like?

I don't know much about your background. Did you study architecture?

Nov 20, 08 8:14 am  · 
 · 
phase123

yes, I got both Master and Bachelor in architecture. I'm pretty sure that my design and graphic skills are very good comparing to the peers. but I want to learn the technical part of bldg first.

Archiwhat, have you changed to a smaller firm where you're learning a lot? for my situation, I would prefer to go to medium and big firms... and the damn economy is working against me.

Nov 20, 08 9:26 am  · 
 · 
archiwhat

phase123, I didn't change a firm but I went to another part of a big firm (150 ppl).

Actually my department just hired a fresh girl just after school, so maybe the situation isn't that bad yet.

What I understand now is you can learn only by doing something in the field you're interested in. I did what was easy for me and did it rather well so people just used my abilities and didn't let me grow.

Nov 20, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: