Archinect
anchor

Bathroom Design

trace™

Looking for some ideas and inspiration. Ideally, for mid priced bathrooms.

Nov 6, 08 8:40 am
mdler

i pooped in a drywall bucket once

Nov 6, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

alterstudio architects - hidden cove residence (sorry not mid priced)

Nov 6, 08 10:53 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm working on a materbath with a full brick masonry wood burning fireplace. It is on the second floor and there is no fireplace on the first floor so were building a super structure to hold it up in the air.
No it is not for Sarah Palin....

Nov 6, 08 11:02 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

what is mid priced?

is over $140k mid priced?

Nov 6, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 

liberty bell does nice bathrooms.

http://www.mwharris.net/mwharris/Residential_.html

Nov 6, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 
bucku

steven, what material are those counter tops?

Nov 6, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

solid surface material. not corian but hi-macs by lg. arctic white. cheaper.

Nov 6, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
binary

this was a full design/build master bathroom.... there was a steam shower in the corner too...... but figured demo/design/build/etc.... was around $18gs...... should have charged a few bucks more due to some b.s.

baltic birch cabinets
oak rails
aluminum and stainless hardware
finished concrete counter tops
ceramic floor

mirrors were bought

had to push out a wall and move some plumbing and install a few tube skylights

Nov 6, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

i love that one, :c:. wish we could have been that elemental - tectonic - whatever, but not with the toddlers.

Nov 6, 08 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

hey FREE RAMOS.... thats a neat floating sink against a glass.... nice trick

Nov 6, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
binary

and the 24x24 slabs i made..... i could barely carry by myself..... solid concrete about 1.5" thick....

and about 1 week later the owner didnt like the tops and wanted a full concrete top......had to pour it in 2 molds..... i didnt take pics either since i was pissed/etc......

Nov 6, 08 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Steven, are you missing a switch-plate in your bathroom? And why did your tiling change from the sketch-up scheme? You had shown slate base, ect, but changed to mosaic base. I prefer the mosaic, but I know that you didn't switch the design to please me. Just curious. Oh, and you have very large overhangs.

Nov 7, 08 9:00 am  · 
 · 

yeah, as i commented above, these are pictures from right at the end of construction. probably i should take 'finished' pix someday.

the tiling scheme in the drawings was sort of a first pass, establishing some goals before we went material shopping. we got the travertine on closeout for dirt-cheap, but only a limited quantity was available. we used it as a 'panel' in the middle of the floor, at the area where we intended the radiant heat blanket to be installed (later deleted). the ceramic, also dirt cheap but VERY available, we used in as many places as possible, including lining the whole exposed back wall behind the sink/mirror/toilet wall.

we DO have very large overhangs.

benefit: the upstairs remains relatively cool without a/c in summer. painted white, so directs reflected light into the house, just like flw took advantage of in his prairie-style houses. we also really like the way it looks: like a big umbrella over the house.

liability: even with ladder stand-offs it's very hard for carpenters and painters to work on the soffits, gutterboard/fascia, and at edges of the roof. they actually don't really make standoffs deep enough. the right way would be to scaffold the whole perimeter of the house, but that's costly. each person we've had work on the exterior has come up with a different ad hoc solution which ALMOST works.

Nov 7, 08 9:15 am  · 
 · 

to read more than you really want to know about our house reno, check out my diary of it: 'exurban interim'. ran as a thread here a year ago or so.

Nov 7, 08 9:16 am  · 
 · 
mdler
Nov 7, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Thanks everyone, some good stuff.

Nov 10, 08 8:29 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Found this while looking for insight on wood floors in bathrooms. So what do you think? Good idea or bad... wood floors in bathrooms for a private residence?

Jun 13, 12 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

http://www.boredpanda.com/glass-floor-bathroom-elevator-shaft/

Looks like the image link did not work. 

and by found this, I meant this thread and the link. Think there is any plumbing connected to that toilet or...?

Jun 13, 12 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

tank is in the chase wall.

Jun 13, 12 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Steven: where did you buy hi-macs by lg?

Jun 16, 12 7:37 am  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

FRaC's suggestion is definitely not mid priced but it's just beautiful.

Jun 29, 12 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: