Archinect
anchor

university recommendations please!

lumism91

As of right now, I am attending a 2-year community college in Southern California and planning to transfer by next fall.

- Currently maintaining a 3.61 GPA and trying to get it higher (hopefully 3.8 range)

- Top school of choice is Cal Poly Pomona

- Pomona's website states their estimated cost of attendance is $14,864 for residents living off campus, and I am guessing that is per year..? Here's the link! Estimate of 2013-2014 Cost of Attendance

- Money may be an issue, so hopefully looking for schools that don't have astronomical costs..

With a GPA between 3.6-3.8, what would be some good options for me besides Pomona? I know this is what everyone wants, but looking for schools that offer good education and name recognition for their value!
Thanks!

Sep 19, 13 1:05 pm
Roshi

Are you looking for schools just in the California region? Also, I'm assuming you are looking to get your Undergrad (B.S Arch or B.Arch)

Other California schools to consider:

Sci-arc

Berkley

USC

Sep 19, 13 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
ACSA National

Hello--ACSA here! Just want to give a plug for the architecture college fair coming up in San Francisco on Sept 28, as well as in Boston on October 26. It can help if you're in the phase of browsing several schools. 

Sep 19, 13 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
lumism91

thanks gary and yes im looking more towards the B. Arch

As for the region, I would like to stay in Cali, but only because of the extra costs of going to another state...if there were some schools in the east coast worth looking at, feel free to mention!

I would love to get into sci-arc but would I be able to get in with my grades and not-so-strong portfolio?

Sep 19, 13 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

I am currently in the process of applying to graduate school, and from everything that I've been told so far, your grades are of least importance to the applications. I have a 3.25 and am confident in my chances at the elite schools.

With a 3.8/4 you are have the potential to get into any arch school on the planet. The most important parts of your application, however, are:

1. Portfolio

2. Essay (Statement of Purpose)

3. Letters

4/5- GPA/GRE

The first 3 can even be swapped depending on the school's process, but they are the 3 most important factors.

Just my 2 cents. I have not gotten into any school yet since I just started playing, so take this all with a grain of salt I guess.

Sep 19, 13 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
anthonyc12

SBCC

CSUS

best schools according to my opinion

Sep 22, 13 1:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: