Archinect
anchor

more education...finacially worth it??

gottajiboo08

I have been trying to read up on as much of the MBA/MSRED/CM degree opinions and experience as possible here but still have a few outstanding questions on salary...I have around 2 year post MArch experience and have begun the ARE examination process and should be fully licensed within the next year and half. I have been thinking about making the move back to academia part time to take on one of the above degrees...possibly a combo MBA with a concentration in one of the other two. Going part time I can see this taking approx 3 years to complete....now for my questions: what can a licensed architect with 5 years experience expect for a starting range of salaries in a) a developers office and b) a construction management office??? i ask because i have seen such a range of numbers from 40K to 120K at a developers to 60K or "double what an architect makes" at a CM firm. we can also add in c) design/build for conversation sake. i am not basing any decisions based on dollar value but i would like to have an sense what kind of financial return +/- is typical.

thanks in advance

Oct 30, 08 9:10 pm
greenlander1

USC 2007 mean salary was about 100k + 20k bonus right out of school.
Obviously though a diff business env't. School will cost 60k for 1 yr. Steep. if you play that out over a long time frame, it is something that can be dealt with easily. An MBA however would generally be 2 yrs.

I'm looking at the MRED thing now. I've only been looking/ wroking at this whole thing for about 4-5 months but my impression the license is a bonus not a necessity.

I started studying and realized for me it wasnt worth the effort. I got so many other holes to fill on the business side and wanted to be on the business side not being an architect working in a development office.

Looks up previous posts by Quizzical. He's done it all and would have good advice.

Oct 30, 08 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
gottajiboo08

I will take a look back through the previous posts. "obviously though a diff business env't" you are talking about using the MBA to enter the financial world and not the construction/development field correct? have you found any info on the starting salaries in the construction/development field with any of these degrees?

thanks

Oct 30, 08 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

sorry the 'obviously a diff business envt' is about market timing. it refers to the real estate world right before it imploded. At least here in L.A. it is hard to make anything pencil out. 2 years ago anything that was ready for market seemed to make profit.

If you want an MBA yeh generally you are going into finance/ banking, that sort of thing. I'm not considering it at all. Just the MRED.

The USC mean salary was for MRED's. I think on USC's site you can find the historical averages. Again up to recently, during the whole boom, the companies doling out these salaries were making money hand over fist. Now most are either having issues or laying low. So that fast money isnt around.

My company is doing quite a bit of vulture investing so things are quite busy here as long as our pool of investment capital doesnt dry up. But then again, we are only 3 people in the investment wing of the office. And I'm only making 60k with bonuses that wont appear unless we close a deal and then flip it. But I took this underpaying job since I wanted exposure to finance, fast. Most of the places I talked to wanted a project manager which wouldve been a good intro but I wanted to jump into the deep end right off the bat.

Oct 31, 08 3:00 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Depends where you are but I think CM people for a developer do quite OK if they have enough work. I would guess btw 65-85 k depending on the scale of the office here in L.A. just a guess.

But there isnt any work.

Oct 31, 08 3:02 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Either way, if you bring in revenue generating deals or become v good at making deals happen that come in the door, you will get paid, degree or not. Conversely the opposite is true, even if your credentials are great, there will be a limit on how much you can make.

Oct 31, 08 3:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: