Archinect
anchor

Software Sorcery

gwharton

Some interesting new tools being developed with astonishing capabilities for design applications. Case in point: 3D Sweep

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2013/09/16/3-sweep-sweeps-the-net-with-smart-2d-to-3d-conversion/

Let's use this thread to link to cutting edge stuff.

3D Sweep Demonstration Reel

Sep 17, 13 7:05 pm
accesskb

nothing entirely novel... Just old techniques of modelling given some automated tools that trace outline of shape.  Its similar modelling techniques used by matchmovers who need to model objects and characters in correct perspective and match it to a live action background.  It looks like the texture map of the object was already extracted and then mapped on the model automatically.  It does look fishy in a way.. I'm wondering how does the software know how to extract the texture, put it into the model and then replace the cut out space so it doesn't look like white space?

Sep 18, 13 12:39 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

ya, i don't know anything about how the video was made or who made it, so i don't want to jump to conclusions.  however, there are a few places where they move the model, and somehow it's getting rid of the original image and patching in the background?

Sep 18, 13 7:22 am  · 
 · 

So what? A tool to help build simple 3D digital models. Probably find a lot of use in video games and film.

For architecture? Not so much. Everybody seems to grasp at the latest technology - like 3D printing - like it's some kind of magic wand without any consideration for it's actual usefulness, value, actual effects or even more important on what is lost when new technology is adopted, often with religious fervor.

Sep 18, 13 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Veuxx
Miles I agree with you but I think the excitement comes from the future possibilities that are the adjacent possible.

3d printing in its present form doesn't do much quite yet.
Sep 18, 13 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Another crappy building from OMA huh? lets see what youve done!

Oct 15, 13 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Wait...what? Since when is OMA part of this thread?

Oct 16, 13 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

sameolddoctor must have had a senior moment.

Oct 16, 13 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Another interesting technology: http://vimeo.com/79179138

Dec 3, 13 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Here's what I think could be cool and viable.  I thought about this when I watched three carpenters rebuild a porch roof in January during a stretch when the temperature was in the dingle digits.

Could we 3D scan a building in such a  way that an addition to it could be built in a shop then brought to the site and assembled quickly? Maybe 3D print the scan out of whatever corn starch at full size in the shop, then build the attachment points to meet it exactly.

The question would be how much demo would you need to do to get an accurate scan - can the scan go through multiple layers of material that will be removed to get to the structure beneath that will stay?

This seems like it would work great for residential and small remodel work - control the climate and access to tools etc. in a warehouse, with minimal time spent on site reassembling it all.

Dec 3, 13 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Punch84

Donna, that sounds like a pretty good idea.  I'm not sure how economical it'd be on such a small application, but larger additions may have a greater return on investment.

There's an 5 story apartment building that went up last year near me with a lot of metal paneling on the façade.  The sub came out, scanned the building, and created their shop drawings from those scans.  I'm sure it's quicker to assemble and there's less material waste because of the scan.

Dec 3, 13 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I recall surveyors use this type of technology - something about getting rough idea of spacial relationships in inaccessible areas (post-disaster).  Probably started for military strikes?

Donna - I've seen 3D scans used for interior restoration of historical theaters.  They were especially interested in molding that was falling apart.  I believe the architects used the scan to help verify the base CAD drawings.

Dec 5, 13 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Scans while great.... are not entirely accurate on the building/site scale. I've dealt with registered scans that were supposed to have a 1/8-1/4" tolerance and actually varied by up to 5/8".  It's one thing when you can scan an object with a cnc 5 axis scanner versus tripods in the field with multiple setups and scans that have to be combined. Scale is an issue.

Also, Scans can only capture what they can see. There is no "xray" function. House would have to be demo'd to the point where the addition would occur for the most accurate reading.

Great for creating detailed measured drawings of complex existing surfaces or spaces... in CAD.  Especially when you can install the note, "Contractor to Verify All Dimensions in the Field." Not great for conversion to Revit. 

Dec 5, 13 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i thought in residential, the note was "pound to fit."

i also thought those surveys left a lot of extra data points that just clog up the file and make things difficult.  their software might be better than what i've seen though.

Dec 5, 13 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: