Archinect
anchor

LEED

outthere

Im planning on getting LEED accredited, Ive done some research on it and its seems interesting and worth while to do so..

So my question is... Do you need experience working on a LEED accredited building to take this test even if you study the reference guide and have a good understanding of the website?

Ive never worked for a company that works on LEED buildings ...but I would like to in the near future

Oct 28, 08 6:51 pm
Bloopox

No, you don't need experience to take this test. There are tens of thousands of LEED accredited people and few have any experience with an actual LEED project. By the way, buildings are LEED certified, not accredited. People are LEED accredited.

What you need to pass this test is just a very thorough understanding and memorization of the 200 page reference book, and careful study of the LEED section of the USGBC website - especially the parts related to submittal procedures, team management, fees, CIRs, etc.

Oct 28, 08 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

bloopox said it, no experience in LEED projects required. I took a class prior to sitting for the exam and I would highly recommend it. Find one in your area that is recommended by someone who took it.

Oct 28, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Jayness

There is no need to have any experience with a LEED project. You should try and get a copy of the Colorado USGBC study guide as well as the USGBC reference guide. The Colorado guide is really informative and links different design strategies together, it also has some helpful study aids. Of course, it helps to be around a LEED project, since it gives some perspective on the different aspects of LEED certification.

Oct 28, 08 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

working on a green charette can be somewhat valuable as well...

Oct 28, 08 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

thanks ...yeh im just making sure that im not waisting my time studying and then taking the test when i wont even going to pass

by the way bloopox the reference book is 400 pgs

Oct 28, 08 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
thrive

Turn out, it is probably unusual if you've worked on a LEED project before you take the exam. I'm in the process of studying myself and during one of our weekly study discussions, it came up that although 16000 projects have been registered into the LEED system, only about 10% of those are underway for LEED certification.

For studying reference: intheleed.com is an awesome free resource with tons of information. The author also has an e-book if you want to purchase some additional study materials.

Oct 29, 08 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

hmm... you're right, it is 400 pages.
But it didn't seem like it when I read it. (There's a lot of blank white space in there!)

In any case it's not a difficult book to get through if you break it into manageable pieces. But it really is critical that you read the whole thing. The test covers the most obscure minutiae. You really need to memorize all the ASHRAE standard numbers for each credit, for example.

Oct 30, 08 10:29 am  · 
 · 
http://greenexamprep.com/

They've got some really great practice tests, I studied with them, it was totally worth it.

And yes, you do need to know the difference between the ASHRAE reference standards, but it's not as hard to get those down as you think.

Oct 30, 08 10:48 am  · 
 · 
02900Planting

This is it :

1. Know the reference guide. Inside and out. Know it.

Nov 7, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: