Archinect
anchor

Architecture + MSc Structural engineering/design

takachan

Hi friends,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm writing due to my doubts over my next career move. I'd love to hear your two cents. Sorry for my English :)

I'm finishing Architecture in Spain, where it's a 6-year degree. Just to give you some context, it's known to be kind of hard, given we're taught not only aesthetics, project design, picture rendering etc., but also a lot of construction and structures, urban planing, electricity, water systems... Once we finish we are qualified to take full responsibility in all the stages needed to actually build a building from scratch. This is kind of crazy when you go abroad and you get the feeling that the architect is only expected to draw, create realistic picture and that's about it (I might be wrong).

What I realised over the last years is that I really like the technical stuff over projects and drawings. Specially everything to do with structures (from calculating them, to designing them, and building them... architects here are qualified to do all that), somehow they look very beautiful to me, and I know that's what I would like to pursue. However, things are pretty pretty tough in Spain right now as you might have heard. Not to mention how steep it has become to do something related to construction -and get paid for your work!

So, I pondered if it would be a wise choice to go for a MSc to do with structures. In Madrid there seems to be a very good one, but without any kind of internship, which would be interesting, then I thought, why not try abroad? Language is not an issue at all. I feel comfortable in English, French, German... To sum up, my biggest concerns:

- What is your opinion on this move, from Architecture to an Msc in structures, possible? My intention is to apply for a two-year course with... not sure how you call it... internship in a firm or practice encouraged so you get some real experience. That's important. Is it worth it? If so,

- Any suggestion on a good course? I've been checking in Europe mainly, because USA is too expensive (ie, over 10,000$ a year feels too expensive). I've seen interesting courses in Edinburgh, London, northern Europe (they are even free!), Zurich... But I don't know of anybody who has done a similar move.

I'm really lost and I'd greatly appreciate it if somebody could enlighten me a little bit :). Thanks for your time.

Sep 16, 13 3:09 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: