Archinect
anchor

Zoning - Maximum Areas

designBandit

I'm trying to figure out the maximum buildable areas on a site. One figure given by the local ordinance is an area of 2 acres (or 87,120 sf), but there are also maximum lengths and widths (200ft each), which add up to 40,000sf.

So how do I interpret this? Is max length and width add up to a max area per building? Or is that a maximum footprint? Or something totally different that I'm missing?

Oct 19, 08 5:07 pm
drums please, Fab?

but you're the design bandit! figure it out!

from the information you've given i would interpret it as:

max footprint is 200' x 200' (40,000 s.f.) so to get the max area you can do two floors of 40,000 s.f. then a third floor of 7,120 s.f.

any height or number of story limitations?

Oct 19, 08 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
gold spot

Usually the built up area is dependent on the FSI. Then there is ground coverage or the footprint. Then you have height restrictions.

Lot Area Multiplied by FSI gives you total built up on all floors. Dividing that area by the allowable footprint area you get number of floors subject to the height restrictions.

Thats about it...roughly. Legalities change from place to place.

Oct 20, 08 3:21 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

Lot coverage ≠ F.A.R.

Oct 20, 08 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

I <3 F.A.R.

Oct 20, 08 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
you're so close, but F.A.R. away...(synth)
Oct 20, 08 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

Ramos....,thanks for the encouragment! funny....

There is a 30 foot height limitation.

It all makes sense when thinking about it as one building, but what if I want to have several buildings on the site, each under the 200' max lengths. Then its possible to have over 40,000sf footprint total.....Does that make sense?

Oct 22, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

it should be clear as written in the 'local ordinance'. are you paraphrasing or is that all the information you have?

from the information you've given, yes you can have several buildings under 200' all adding up to a max 87,120 s.f.

the best thing is to go to the zoning department and ask them.

Oct 22, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

E. Area, yard and bulk regulations.

Minimum Lot
Minimum Yard
Maximum

Permitted
and
accessory
uses
Area1
(acres)
Width
(feet)
This is what I'm working with:

Depth
(feet)
Front
(feet)
Side
(feet)
Rear
(feet)
Height
(feet)
Total Ratio
Impervious

Firehouse, church, school, nursery school, first aid, child-care
12%

Oct 22, 08 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

Oops....why can't you edit posts? I meant to write "This is what I'm working with" at the top......

Oct 22, 08 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: