Archinect
anchor

Tripartite cantilevering Cloverfield of a stair: "Live Wire" by Oyler Wu Collaborative

silverlake

Its just a stair right??

If so, I think it approaches the same problem Morphosis' early work suffered from: typological elements over-designed and over-detailed to the point of absurdity.

But still, very beautiful. And a far more impressive use of tubes than that first tube train wreck insallation..

Oct 28, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
grid

silverlake's criticism is stop on. What were you expecting/hoping it would be 'make'? It's neat that the final result looks exactly like the renderings.

Oct 29, 08 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
blah

We were told it was going to be a "tripartite cantilever."

Silverlake is close to being spot on.

Look what Foster did in his Millennium Bridge. It's a horizontal suspension bridge. He reduced the Y axis to a minimum and it bit him in the ass.

Remember, that it is easy to be seduced by renderings. What are the intentions and do the formal moves and details support the intentions? Is there consonance? I like some things about this stair but it doesn't work as a "tripartite cantilever."

Oct 30, 08 12:20 am  · 
 · 
blah

Compare it to Cecil Balmond's take on the Indian rope trick.

Oct 30, 08 12:21 am  · 
 · 
blah

Foster's bridge is structurally much more interesting than anything that I have seen of Calatrava's....

Oct 30, 08 12:26 am  · 
 · 
phillipmo

Images of Live Wire on the opening night...
more at
Flickr Set
Mayoral Photo

Oct 30, 08 1:46 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It is very cool looking. But I still don't know what Cloverfield has to do with anything, and no I didn't see the movie (but I did read the Wikipedia summary - spoilers!).

Oct 30, 08 7:23 am  · 
 · 
grid

I don't know why the thread creator used "Cloverfield" either. Let's just pretend that reference was never made.

Oct 31, 08 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: