Archinect
anchor

Yes, it's another salary thread...

Benjamin_

I know there are TONS of topics about salary, but this is sort of an advice question too. I have been working for a firm for about 3 months now and I just had my first review. I have been making (embarrassed to say $15/hour) which they told me at the beginning was a temporary starting salary. I wasn't given an opportunity to ask for a salary or explain "what I am worth". I am an intern but I do a lot of design work AND they just fired someone else and said that I will be taking on more responsibility and work. I went into the review today expecting a big pay increase. Instead, they said we will be bumping me up to $16/hour. I don't want to seem like I am complaining and I am fortunate to have a job (which I love) but am I taking it up the hoop on this one, or should I just shut up and get back to work?

I don't expect to be making a lot of money, but at least in line with the national average. After today I just feel like I should print up my resume and start over.

What do you all think?

Oct 17, 08 1:38 pm
quizzical

where are you located, how large is the firm, what degree do you hold, and how much experience do you bring to the job?

we can't give you any meaningful feedback without answers to those questions.

Oct 17, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

small - medium sized firm
B. Sci in Arch. (for now)
A few summers of work experience
LEED AP

Oct 17, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

Sorry, located in Ontario, not far from Toronto.

Oct 17, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
binary

your an intern...... learn what you can then the next job/time around you can ask for more...

i'd be happy making 16 an hour right now

Oct 17, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

oh ... now you're just trying to make it hard ... I don't know of any salary survey information for Canada ... but, based on the latest AIA Compensation Survey for US Architectural positions (released last month), here's what I can offer:

For purposes of this survey you'd be an "Intern I - Entry level intern on the path to licensure with fewer than two years of experience; develops design or technical solutions under the supervision of an architect.

This survey doesn't include any Canadian cities or provinces -- the closest city included in the survey is Detroit, MI -- this is the median (average) base salary rates reported for Intern I staff for Detroit:

Detroit, MI: $32,200

The median US wage paid to Intern I staff in firms with 5-9 employees is reported to be $32,000

The median US wage paid to Intern I staff in firms with 10-19 employees is reported to be $35,000

The median US wage paid to Intern I staff in firms with 20-49 employees is reported to be $38,200

Toronto is close to the western part of NY State -- but almost all of the data in the NY survey is from the NYC metro area ... personally, I doubt that data is representative of western NY State.

All of these numbers are reported in US dollars. Since there's a difference in the US and Canadian dollar, you'll have to do your own currency conversion.

Hope this helps.

Oct 17, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

hey, quiz, is the new compensation report in the public domain or will we have to fork over the dough to see the full report?

Oct 17, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

fork over the dough !

$195 for AIA members and $249 for nonmembers

Oct 17, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

Thanks quizzical. I have seen numbers like that and I don't make $32000. So that's why I asked.

Oct 17, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

$16.00 x 2,080 = $33,280

Check your math.

Oct 17, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

7.5 hour work days instead of 8, which is $31,200.

Plus, this is Canada and the government steals almost half in taxes ;)

I just remembered reading somewhere that interns earn between $37k - 41k. So I may have set my expectations a little high. Thanks for the info.

Oct 17, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Yes .. but generally in the US, wages are based on a 40 hour week and I know for certain the AIA survey was based on wages paid for a 40 hours week. So, for comparison purposes, I think you need to take that difference into consideration.

On a 7-1/2 hour day basis, the US Median would be $15.38 per hour x 7.5 hours per day x 5 days per week x 52 weeks per year = $30,000

Oct 17, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I don't think its awful particularly if you can continue to learn and expand on your skill set. If you have a review every three months and get a small bump up I think that would be fine. I found that it really after about 2-3 years when you've worked through a complete project or two do you get to see any real large increases in pay. I also think that with all the volatility in the market everyone is unsure of what will come in the next 6-8 months, come spring or summer things will be clear and then you may find that if you still have a job you'll be in a better place to either ask for more money and / or leave for another position. Retraining people is a pain so they don't want to have to retrain a new person.

Oct 17, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

Good points.

Oct 17, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

Other posters have given good feedback on comparable conditions within the U.S., but the market in Canada may be different. Nevertheless, there is another way to look at this. After three months you received a 6.7% raise. That is huge in this profession.

Oct 17, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Benjamin_

Haha, touche! This makes me feel a lot better, thanks all.

Oct 17, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

its just as -cryzko- said
"your an intern...... learn what you can then the next job/time around you can ask for more..."

I am still in School (in San Diego).. I started in the same boat..
My first year in School I was making about what you made. I didnt work for an Architecture firm (sustainability consultancy)..I now in my third year of architecture school with an added year to go (thesis on hold) I now make a somewhat decent amount to provide for kids family, and school supplies. But I have been lucky enough to be given the opportunities to begin with.

Oct 19, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: