Archinect
anchor

New Version: Rhino OSX

for all of you mac/rhino fans

the next build is out, this one requires OSX 10.5 though and has incorporated the updates from the latest Windows service release (4b)

Rhino OSX

Oct 16, 08 1:53 pm
blah

I had it but I don't run 10.5 yet and the previous version expired on the first.

According to Rober McNeel,
It'll be a year before it really is ready. Plugins will take longer.

The simple answer is “not soon”.

We have tons of work to get all of the Rhino core functionality working on OS X. Plus, we need to redo the U/I to make it an OS X style product… Then we will start on the SDK … and after it is ready then plug-ins can be built. Unfortunately the development tools for OS X are completely different so that means the SDK will be completely different and all of the plug-ins will need to be rewritten.

Grasshopper is a special case because it is completely written using DotNet and that is yet another SDK. Since DotNet is a Windows thing, it means that Grasshopper would be a ground up rewrite if it is going to be available on OS X. It is unlikely that we will get to that project for a few years.

I know this is not good news but things change so you never know for sure.

Thanks for the interest and the feedback.

- Bob

;-(

Oct 16, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I don't get why they are relying solely on the windows-specific architecture for the foundation of their software. Many software companies have been moving towards platform-independent architectures because then they don't have to write the code twice - less time for them, more profit. it does mean they have to start over, but McNeel has an opportunity to do this with the OS X version...

Oct 16, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

what i've been reading is that the final Rhino OSX will be based on v5 which I gather they're rewriting from the ground up to be more "independent".

their openNurbs concept is a step in the right direction…

Oct 16, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

I read on their forums that Rhino is switching to Python so the coding should be platform agnostic. I'm assuming they will still support .net but for fucks sake people should really use open source so they have fewer headaches in the future.

Oct 17, 08 12:07 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

that's good news... but OS X style product? UI? I don't think that really matters to rhino users. I regularly use both windows and OS X, and I'd prefer the UI to be as similar as possible in both platforms - identical, even.

Oct 17, 08 11:39 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

that's good news... but OS X style product? UI? I don't think that really matters to rhino users. I regularly use both windows and OS X, and I'd prefer the UI to be as similar as possible in both platforms - identical, even.

Oct 17, 08 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Even though this is fairly light... I LOVE IT. I CAN'T believe I am using Rhino on my power book! This is great!

Does anyone have any idea when Vray will be available for OSX?

Oct 18, 08 12:07 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

rhino os x is great for about the first 30 seconds, after which the relative slowness and lack of features starts to bug me, primarily because i use half a dozen or so plugins and rhinoscripts in my daily usage of windows rhino...

Oct 20, 08 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: