Archinect
anchor

death by macintosh

treekiller

turns out that the laptop choice of the creative set can kill you.
link

A french newspaper has published a report (with English translation) stating that Mac Pro owners run the risk of getting diseases as dangerous as leukemia (blood cancer) simply by using their computer. The newspaper was warned by a national agency scientist that the smell (already detected by many Mac Pro users on Apple forums) is actually toxic, composed of several toxins, including benzene.

Oct 15, 08 11:16 am
WonderK

What smell? I don't smell anything. Well, I do, but it's the body odor of the student next to me who hasn't showered for a few days. (No really, it's bad).

Anyway, I really don't smell anything. And who cares what the French say?! :P

Oct 15, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'd rather die using a Mac than live using a PC!

Oct 15, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

now that's brand loyalty...

Oct 15, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
suwatch

a "mac pro" is not a laptop...

Oct 15, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

suwatch- my bad. it would be nice to have that performance in a laptop though.

Oct 15, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

"I'd rather die using a Mac than live using a PC!"

you rule!

problem is, my powerbook crashed, and it costs alot to fix, and ever since i started working, im forced to use a pc,,, God bless the days of the command+Q, command+W and the beautiful expose,, ukh,, pc's are the death of design

Oct 15, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Alt+F4 = Command+Q

Oct 15, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
The stench persists, the researcher insists.

I love that translation tool. Makes for some very funny structures - almost poetry.

Oct 15, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

French people smell..... well thats a VOX POPULI dont point at me.

but what about the NEW MAC BOOK PROs??, what specific model of MAC BOOK PRO is toxic?? wasnt also Britney "TOXIC"??, is all POP culture going to kill us??

suwatch you are right, THANK GOD IS NOT!!, if not i would be doing boring architecture!

Oct 15, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

can we make a shirt out of this???

"...I'd rather die using a Mac than live using a PC!..."

WORD!

Oct 15, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito
GIN

i've just added your comment as one of my favorite quotes in my FACEBOOK

Oct 15, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

I would rather use the Mac as the PC it was built to be rather than the Mac is was force to be.

Oct 15, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

MAD--the article is only about the mac pros (desktop towers)

I've got one at work and one at home--> no smell, so maybe it's only affecting those sold outside the US??

Oct 15, 08 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

were they made in china?

Oct 15, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

more than likely--isn't that where all macs are assembled now?

Oct 15, 08 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

oh i have imacs at the office and MACBOOK PRO at home..... fiu! (close call)

Oct 15, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

you alll are too funny. but i feel left out because I am on a pc. Its great but I want to be with the in crowd damnit. I've conceded that my next machine will be a mac. I'm even willing to go smaller for the sake of it. Sigh...

Oct 15, 08 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

architechnophilia

Go smaller, in screen size as in the 13-inch? Don't do it! You're better off putting money aside for a 15-inch model. CAD is a nightmare on such a small display, unless you're planning to connect it to a larger external display.

I hope the Mac Pro's are updated soon and will feature a new design and some Intel Nehalem power.

The article mentions the Mac Pro, how about the PowerMac? I have one in my bedroom. I like using my Mac as much as the next design and UI conscious person but i'd rather not pay for it with benzene poisoning. I hope the company does the right thing and replaces them.

Oct 15, 08 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

being limited by a monopoly in your choice i would hope is nobodies idea of a good system

Oct 16, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

yeah 13 inch screen is for highschool-ers.... 15 min 17 if u r rich and strong :P

Oct 16, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

actually lbelle, the original is quite poetic! i'm impressed, liberation is the sort of... city-paper-ish rag to it's more staid cousin, le monde. this is like reading an article in the boston herald instead of the boston globe. but the writing is quite poetic!

Oct 16, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Everything is a monopoly unless you use linux, but software developers wont support that platform so you're really stuck with two alternatives. Use whatever makes you happy, windows does not make me happy so I'm not going to use it unless I really have to.

Oct 17, 08 12:10 am  · 
 · 
SDR

I assume everybody's seen this. . .

http://www.apple.com/macbook/the-new-macbook/watch.html#medium

Milled aluminum unibody. Fun factory footage.

Oct 17, 08 12:25 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Death by glossy screen! why why why? I really wish the Pro still had a matte display, I know a lot of graphic designers are going to be pissed off... even if it is more environmentally friendly. The build quality of the new machines is pretty solid, I hope they work on graphics card management on the Pro since logging out to switch between the low end and high end card sucks.

Oct 21, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
4arch

I haven't heard matte screens were dropped for environmental reasons. It's being done because glossy screens "juice up" colors. That makes video look better and they can move more product that way. All computer makers are going that way. And yes, people who care about color rendering are pissed.

Oct 21, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

My first computer was a Mac Classic, then I switched to PCs and it's always PCs in the offices I've worked in. At home I switched back to Mac again, plus the iPod and, two days ago, the iPhone... I have an obscene loyalty to Macs because...to me they're symbolic of valuing beautiful design over the grey, dull, bean-counting mediocrity of the times we live in: bits of hyper-gagetry that say enjoy! The world is beautiful!
Still haven't figured out how to create sub-directory folders from an application, though.

Oct 21, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: