Archinect
anchor

inclined elevators

usernametaken

In short: I am searching for information about inclined elevators.
I know there are elevators that run along tracks, like a very steep traintrack or a cable car-like system.
I've also seen smaller elevators that have a slightly tilted shaft.

But I am looking for something bigger, that could be used for high-rise buildings. Does anybody know of elevators that have a slight incline, or does anybody know of the technical specifics that need to be taken into account, such as the maximum inclination that's possible, or the maximum height for an inclined lift? I've been searching the websites of the most common elevator manufacturers, but there's not that much information to be found. Maybe somebody here knows of some information that could come in useful?

Oct 13, 08 4:57 pm
binary

unless the elevator is exposed or has some hotness....i would say that if it's in a core of a building, then it's a waste of space....

Oct 13, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

It depends, I think. Some floor-plan arrangements venture too far away from the standard "stacked slab"-principle to be solved by standard elevators. I'm pretty sure that it's expensive as hell to do such a thing with an elevator, but I just want to know the potentials before shooting off an idea before it even started to develop.

Oct 13, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

only thing that comes to mind is the "inclinator" at the luxor, las vegas.

Oct 13, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Well, we have a project in the works right now, a series of towers with the residential portion of it sloped nearly 45 degrees. We are using inclined lifts that run on tracks for it. Youre right though, they are substantially more expensive, and i dont think its really something youre going to find on elevator manufacturers websites. I think its largely a custom job. I can however tell you that Kone is doing the elevators in this particular project. Good Luck

Oct 13, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

St. Louis Arch? I believe the cars pivot to remain vertical as the shaft bends. I'm guessing they're also running on tracks.

Oct 13, 08 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Bjarke Ingels' Mountain Dwelling uses an inclined elevator in the parking garage (second page, images halfway down). In his lecture he said they are very common in Switzerland.

Oct 13, 08 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

I believe you are looking for what we in the mountains call a "funicular"

Oct 13, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
grid

yes - the good ol funicular. I was recently on a nice one in Germany.

Oct 13, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

try to figure out what zaha hadid is using for her dancing towers in dubai

Oct 14, 08 2:25 am  · 
 · 
legeuse

lower part of eiffel tower does it too. old now but probably at least quite well documented..

Oct 14, 08 7:47 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

A funicular - which is usually called an "incline" in the US - is really a steeply inclined railway.

The system in the St. Louis Arch is a gimbaled cable lift system - it works something like a Ferris wheel and an elevator combined.

The elevator cars in the Eiffel Tower actually tilt as they go through the sloped legs. They're jerked into alignment repeatedly as they move.

Oct 15, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: