Archinect
anchor

Architectural Drafting Associate degree and transferring

Brich
Next spring I will have my associate degree in architectural drafting, and I would like to get my BA in Architecture.

I want to know if I were to transfer to a university would I start as a freshman or be placed at a further starting point?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sep 5, 13 10:40 am
Atom

Second year most likely but push for 2 1/2. An associate degree covered most of the job skills you will use for the next 15 years in a firm. The highest demand is for people in production and an associate degree is all you need if you are a software operator. See if you can get a job before you go onto getting a 5 year degree and see if architecture is the right field for you. If you decide the time and the investment is worth it then you can get another degree. Have you been in an office yet? It is filled with over educated software operators. Until recently and currently in some states the only requirement was a high school diploma to sit for the exams. Only one person in an office needs to stamp drawings. You can work in an office without a license. You don't have to wait to start dong what you invested in. You can do it in the spring. You will meet the minimum criteria. Or you can spend or borrow a five digit sum to get a few more years that won't make a big difference. With an associate degree and being happy with production you will never pose a threat or make an employer wonder if they have room for you. Every office wants people at the lower pay rates and there are fewer positions the higher you go. Look at all those unemployed masters degrees. Office staff are in a pyramid, lots of room at the lower levels. There is nothing wrong or bad or lowly about an associate degree. It is a skill you can use.   

Sep 5, 13 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I believe you would, because of the studio/structrues/construction schedules they have set up. Some of the classes could transfer (depending on the school) and therefore you would not need to take it at the university, but I'm sure studio class does not transfer and therefore you would need to take all of them. 

All those questions can be answered by the University you intend to transfer to.

Sep 5, 13 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

The best thing about getting an A.s degree in architectural technology is the fact that you are employable while you are going thru continuing your education. I'm taking this route and it is proving to work also if you can pick up 3ds max, lots of firms use renderings my firm does and you will be useful to a firm.

Sep 6, 13 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Brich
Thanks for the answers folks.

I've tried emailing the Architectural advisers about this but have not got a response, so that's why I asked in the forums.

I completely agree with Atom about the Associates Degree being enough, and it does make a lot of sense that having a BA would make finding a job more difficult.

Here's the thing though; I've been awarded 5 years of school with 100% of tuition covered, and I don't want that to go to waste.

I am currently working for my drafting teacher for a work study program, and she has a lot of ties with Architecture and Engineering firms. I am next in line for a job after this semester.
Sep 6, 13 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: